Arts Briefs

Ghoulfest

Get into the Halloween spirit a little early this month by attending Ghoulfest, a symphonic concert with a spooky twist. Presented by the Kent Philharmonic Orchestra, the concert will feature Saint-Saens Danse Macabre, Lizst Totentanz Piano Variations and Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. As if enjoying a Halloween-themed concert isn’t enough, there will also be a costume contest for all ages. The Royce Auditorium inside of the St. Cecilia Music Center will host the concert on Friday from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Admission rates run $10 for adults, $5 for students/seniors and free for children 10 and under.

Thrills and Chills

The Thriller! Chiller! Film Festival is all about those Halloween scares, especially on the big screen. Featured at five venues throughout downtown Grand Rapids, this horror fest presents movies ranging from action, horror, sci-fi to suspense horror. The film festival is returning for its ninth year and as a special event will feature the 25th anniversary screening of Tim Burton’s “Batman” on Friday at 8 p.m. at UICA. Don’t fret if you can’t make it though, as the festival runs through Saturday. For more information on movies, venues, events and tickets, visit www.thrillerchiller.com

2014 Knowsmoke Zombie Walk

Play the part as a zombie or a human in this post-apocalyptic walk, which is aimed to inspire youth to become the next smoke-free generation. Sponsored by the Muskegon County Tobacco Reduction Coalition, the Knowsmoke Zombie Walk is free for anyone and will feature additional family fun activities such as a zombie costume contest and a DJ from 105.3 Hot FM. All ages are welcome, and free t-shirts will be given out to the first 100 students to register online. For more information about location, starting times and registration, visit http://2014knowsmokezombiewalk.eventbrite.com

¡Carnaval!

Indulge in the Latino culture through one of the largest events of the year: ¡Carnaval! Presented by the Latino Student Union, this annual dinner & dance event brings in large crowds consisting of a blend of Spanish-speaking students, faculty, students majoring/minoring in Spanish, and simply those interested in learning more about Latin culture. The event will be host of a variety of performances representing different nations, and after the performances the dance floor will open up to anyone brave enough to attempt several types of Latin dance. The celebration includes free food and admission, and will take place on Friday in the Grand River Room of Kirkhof from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m.