Students encouraged to write supportive messages to international students post-election

GVL / Courtesy - Alissa Lane

Alissa Lane

GVL / Courtesy – Alissa Lane

Meghan McBrady

In regards to the results of last week’s presidential election, the Padnos International Center (PIC) and the International Student Organization (ISO) partnered together to address the negativity surrounding the election about immigrants and international study abroad programs.

Gathering outside the Transformational Link structure Tuesday, Nov. 15, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., members of the PIC and ISO wrapped the blue arches with paper and encouraged students and faculty to write supportive messages to international students at Grand Valley State University.

Elizabeth Jawish, the international student integration coordinator at the PIC, said having the demonstration highlighted the celebration of diversity throughout GVSU’s campuses, whether it be domestic or international students.

“After the results of the election, a lot of the students were worried if they were going to be sent home or were wondering what was going to happen to them,” Jawish said. ‘We wanted to make sure that they know we are here for them and that they should feel welcome here.”

Various messages of “You are home” and “Everyone is welcomed” lined the purple and white sheets of wrapping paper. Hearts and cut-outs of figures holding hands also appeared on the wrapping paper, showing solidarity and love for the international community.

Vanesha Blackburn, a study abroad ambassador through the PIC, said having a conversation about international policy will allow the GVSU community to better reflect on President-elect Donald Trump’s immigration policies.

With Trump’s campaign previously calling to deport 11 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S. and building a wall on the Mexican border, he later conducted an interview with 60 Minutes Sunday, Nov. 13, which emphasized how his immigrant enforcement regime will now concentrate on criminals.

Willing to deport or incarcerate two million to three million who have criminal records, gang members and/or drug dealers, the president-elect also stated in the interview how he is willing to accept a fence along some areas along the U.S.’s southern border.

“I traveled to Ghana this past summer and I know a few students who are from Ghana and are here at Grand Valley studying,” Blackburn said. “It’s not so much that they are afraid, but it limits their opportunities to advance and to grow.”

“Those conversations will be tough and it will come down to what we can do with each other to help them advance, feel secure and continue to do what they are doing despite immigration and talk about those policies while we continue to hope for the best.”

The demonstration fits within the UNITE event Friday, Nov. 18, from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in Eberhard Center Room 215.

As an event which highlights “Uniting Neighbors, Ideas, Thoughts and Emotions,” the entirety of the GVSU community is invited to celebrate inclusion through discussions, dancing and dining.

“We want to make sure that our message of celebrating diversity comes across,” said Jawish. “We’ll have activities, but if people want to have it as a space for discussion we are open to that to.”

Showing solidarity and a gesture of togetherness, Alissa Lane, the outreach coordinator at the PIC, said she hopes having the demonstration and the Friday event will allow a deeper conversation about inclusion and diversity.

“It is important for our nation to be a place where people know they are wanted here,” Lane said. “No matter their beliefs, what they look like, what their religion is it’s important that we are a safe space here in Grand Valley and here in the U.S.”

For more information about GVSU’s Padnos Center, visit www.gvsu.edu/studyabroad.