Self-care over the holidays

Alas, the end of the semester is nigh. We’ve been slaving over hot, overheating laptops and drowning ourselves in energy drinks and gallons of coffee and sacrificing sleep, all in preparation of the dreaded thing called “final exams.” And just beyond that final exam hill is the much anticipated (and needed) – winter break.

However, for many students, with winter break comes time spent back at home, an environment that you’ve been absent from for the large part of the last three months. And it would be silly of me, or anyone, to assume that a person who leaves for college and a person who returns from college are the two same exact people.

For most, college provides that new experience of being independent in all of your daily life decisions. Should I have something sort of healthy for dinner, or should I just get a pizza again? Should I get a good night’s sleep tonight before my test tomorrow, or should I stream just one more season of Insert-Name-Of-Addicting-TV-Show-Here?

However, college also offers another kind of independence to its students. One that’s more significant than whether or not you get a pizza or a salad for dinner. You also now have the freedom to explore other aspects of your own identity that maybe your life at home didn’t allow you to do. You can make connections with other people your age who have similar experiences to share or who are going through the same internal struggles.

Many LGBTQ college students find relief in being able to live “outwardly” at college among a supportive circle of friends. Many young feminists come together to share their passion for achieving gender equality and ending violence against women, topics which they might not have the chance to talk about at home. I myself “came out” as an atheist during my time here at GVSU.

So how do you transition from this life full of freedom of expression back into an environment where there is a great deal of fear and uncertainty around how family members might react to this “new” you? Do you be true to yourself and stand your ground, or do you go along with everyone else around you?

The answer is obviously going to be different for everyone. It may be safe and comfortable for some people to brandish their new-found identity among family and friends alike. For others, it may not be the greatest idea just yet. Either way, this identity crisis can make holiday breaks with estranged family members around particularly stressful, so here are a few simple suggestions to help you get through them.

1. Practice Self-care. What is “self-care” exactly? Any activity you do to make yourself feel physically, mentally or emotionally better. Eat good food, take a nap if you’re tired or watch your favorite movie.

2. Have a lifeline. Whether it be a family member at dinner you can sit next to or a friend you can call, have at least one person there that you can turn to if you need to. Let them know that you may need their support over the break at any given time.

3. Don’t feel obligated to stay in a situation if you’re feeling judged or threatened. Family celebrations can sometimes stir up a lot of controversy. If the conversation is going awry and making you feel uncomfortable in any way, you do not have to stay and simply endure it. Leave the room, or leave your house. Find a place you feel safe.