9/24 News Briefs

8th annual James W. Carey Memorial Lecture 

Professor of Communication and Media Studies Edward Tywoniak will be leading a discussion as part of this year’s James W. Carey Memorial Lecture.The presentation will examine how the post-millennial generation has been impacted by the world’s technological advances. The lecture will be held Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. in room 122E of the Loosemore Auditorium on GVSU’s Pew campus. 

During the presentation, Tywoniak will explore an analysis of the technical and social trends that have shaped members of Generation Z. Tywoniak claims that Generation Z are often considered ‘digital natives’ who are often described as diverse, entrepreneurial and individualistic. This year’s Carey Memorial Lecture is sponsored by the Communication Studies program, the Political Science Department and the Office of Multicultural Affairs. This event is LIB 100 and 201 approved. 

FOIA-Fest

Learn more about the Freedom of Information Act and how to request government and police documents at an upcoming event at GVSU. FOIA-Fest will take place Sept. 27 from 6 to 9 p.m. in room 2270 of the Kirkhof Center. Co-founder of non-profit news site MuckRock Michael Morisy will deliver a keynote address with a national overview of freedom of information landscape. 

Assistant General Counsel and Freedom of Information Coordinator at GVSU Anne Jbara and Patrick Beatty, staff attorney for the City of Grand Rapids, will follow Morisy’s presentation. The two speakers will be explaining how to file an effective FOIA request. Several other local journalists will be on-hand to provide their experiences using FOIA requests in their reporting.

The event will conclude with an interactive session which the event’s presenters will assist attendees in writing and filing their own FOIA requests. FOIA-Fest is part of this year’s Big Data Month occurring throughout the month of September at GVSU.

GVSU Interfaith leadership workshop

Registration is now open for this year’s interfaith leadership workshop, a day that helps students expand their leadership and interfaith dialogue skills. The Leadership Lab is scheduled for Oct. 13 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Grand Valley’s Pew Campus. 

Registration can be done at gvsu.edu/campusinterfaith and the cost to attend the workshop is $15. Kevin McIntosh, coordinator of Campus Interfaith Resources, said about 40 student leaders from different faith backgrounds will explore religion and citizenship, storytelling and campus activism. Nonprofit organization Interfaith Youth Core provided grant money for the interfaith conference and are offering several available scholarships. 

New CareerLab program offered for students

Grand Valley’s Career Center now offers a new program called CareerLab that can help students find internships, create resumes, explore majors and career options and much more. The program gives students and alumni answers to their career-related questions from professional staff members and student employees. 

The interactive space is open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in room 206 of the new Lubbers Student Services Center on GVSU’s Allendale campus and room 101B of the DeVos Center on the downtown Pew Campus. 

CareerLab allows students to stay in the workspace as long as they like to finish their resume, take the online career assessment or learn more about available career and internship opportunities.