Senators pass the torch to new Student Senate

Sarah Hillenbrand

The Grand Valley State University Student Senate passed many resolutions throughout the 2012-13 academic year, and the new senators as well as returning senators for next year plan to continue to represent the students’ interests on campus.

Lindsay Viviano, this year’s vice president of the Public Relations Committee, said she believed the senate’s greatest accomplishment this year was the Last Lecture. “While I’ve been on Senate, I believe this was the best Last Lecture yet,” Viviano said. “The speaker, Brian Riemersma from the movement science department, was absolutely incredible. Not only was his speech fantastic, but his excitement to partake not only inspired us, as senators, but many GVSU students and faculty, as well.”

Student Senate also organized President’s Ball, which DeMario Bell from the Campus Affairs Committee said he believed was the senate’s greatest achievement this year.

“This was my first year attending the event, and it was refreshing to see senior administration, faculty and students all in one setting at one time, having a great evening at VanAndel,” Bell said.

While Senate helped to organize several larger events, it also became more known around campus than in years past, said Anthony Clemons from the Diversity Affairs Committee. “A lot more people on campus know about Senate than ever before,” he said.

Viviano said she liked being on the senate because it gave her the chance to vote and voice her opinion on issues brought up in senate and meet a lot of new people.

“Being a member of Student Senate has been by far the greatest experience I’ve had at Grand Valley. It made me realize the importance of not only being an active member of your university, but your community, as well,” she said.

With a wide range of opinions, Viviano said that although senators don’t always agree they have learned to move past their differences.

“I have met such a wide range of personalities, and although I have not always agreed with everyone, we have always learned how to effectively work together,” she said. “It was a great learning experience for working with all different types of individuals and overlooking differences at the end of the day.” she said.
Jacob Schacht is a current freshman and a new senator joining next year’s Student Senate. He said he decided to join so he could become more involved in the university, and he hopes to address several issues including GVSU’s presence in the community and getting Senate and the student body further connected.

“Allendale and Grand Valley can both bring benefits to each other,” Schacht said. “So maintaining and building upon a strong and enriching exchange with the university and its town is something I would like to foster. Additionally, I would like to build Grand Valley’s voice and influence in government. Achieving these plans could spread and develop the reputation of this deserving, accomplished university.”

For the new senators, Viviano advised them to not be timid. “As a freshman, I was timid and afraid to ask questions and fully partake in all this organization has to offer,” she said. “Student Senate is full of opportunities to not only work with students, but faculty and staff. It’s important to work as hard as you can and to not worry about boundaries.”

Bell’s advice for the new senators was to keep an open mind to everything and to remember the senate represents all students—not just the majority. “Disregard your personal feelings towards certain resolutions and discussions and think about the student body,” he said. “I’m not saying forget about your purpose on Senate, but you are here to represent the entire student body and not just yourself, so if you know in the back of your head it will benefit or not be beneficial for the student body, advocate that.”

Finally, Clemons added all senators should speak their mind and not change their opinion because of what others may think. “Don’t be afraid to voice your own opinion. You’re not going to agree with everything everyone else does; think for yourself and be authentic to you,” he said. “Don’t let anyone tell you what to think, including administration.”