What’s free at GVSU?

GVL/Archive
Writing where you are campaign (2015).

GVL/Archive “Writing where you are” campaign (2015).

Katherine West

At Grand Valley State University, getting free things doesn’t end after Campus Life Night.

GVSU students have a number of free and reduced-cost services available to them throughout the year.

For those in need of some entertainment, students can head over to the Kirkhof Center movie theater and enjoy watching a recently released film for free.

“We change the movie every week, and the movies are shown every day at 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 5 p.m. and 9 p.m,” said Janelle Shankin, a student employee at the 20/20 desk.

Currently, “Jurassic World” is running at Kirkhof. Some of the movies to come include “Ted 2,” “Inside Out,” “Max,” “Trainwreck,” “Cinderella,” “The Gallows,” “Pixels” and “Aloha.”

GVSU students also have access to all sporting events on campus for free. Print the ticket online or pick one up at the ticket office, located in the Fieldhouse.

For students looking for off-campus fun, they can take a free ride on the Rapid to downtown Grand Rapids. While there, students can get 10 percent off their food purchases at Bagger Dave’s Burger Tavern with their student ID. They can also receive discounted admission to the Grand Rapids Public Museum, Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum and the Grand Rapids Art Museum.

Students are also offered a number of services that will help them succeed academically. One of these is access to Microsoft Office. Office 365 includes the most recent version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook. Office can be installed for free on up to five PCs and Macs and five tablets.

Students can also take advantage of extra assistance with their courses for free. Tutors are available through the SASC Tutoring Center for most 100- and 200-level courses and some 300- or 400-level courses. The Fred Meijer Center for Writing and Michigan Authors offers assistance to any graduate or undergraduate student at any stage of the writing process. Any student can make an appointment or visit the center’s drop-in hours with a draft of their writing. Drop-in hours are available at Lake Ontario Hall, Mary Idema Pew Library Knowledge Market, Eberhard Center, Steelcase Library Knowledge Market, Student Academic Success Center in Pew Campus and online via Google Docs.

GVSU also offers free counseling services to students to help contribute to their health and success.

Melissa Selby-Theut is a therapist and the coordinator of outreach and peer education at the university Counseling Center.

“The university Counseling Center offers students up to ten individual counseling sessions,” Selby-Theut said. “The center also offers group counseling, outreach programming and events that promote personal wellness to the Grand Valley community. Services are free to enrolled students. Counseling can help students stay healthy and reach their academic and personal goals while on campus. If a student would benefit from counseling or is concerned for someone else, I would encourage that student to reach out to the center for support.”