Holiday Mail for Heroes exceeds expectations

GVL / Robert Matthews

Juniors Jessica Hines (left) and Alica Arnold (right) work with Campus Dining, the GVSU Bookstore, and the American Red Cross as part of the Holiday for Heroes program.

Robert Mathews

GVL / Robert Matthews Juniors Jessica Hines (left) and Alica Arnold (right) work with Campus Dining, the GVSU Bookstore, and the American Red Cross as part of the Holiday for Heroes program.

Briana Doolan

The Grand Valley State University community has already exceeded expectations this holiday season with the “Mail for Heroes” effort on campus.

GVSU’s Campus Dining and The University Bookstore partnered with the American Red Cross to send holiday mail for heroes, reporting 607 cards were completed, 357 more than expected.

“This was an opportunity for the campus community to look beyond GVSU and help others, which supports the university’s mission to produce well-rounded people who positively contribute to their greater community,” Deb Rambadt, campus dining, said. “This was a tremendous success and a credit to the GVSU campus community’s ability to give something back.”

Tammie Luce, the campus dining projects and training manager, discovered the opportunity for GVSU to participate through the American Red Cross, which provides assistance to more than 2 million service members and many of our nation’s 24 million veterans, according to their website.

The University Bookstore partnered with Campus Dining by supplying 350 cards at a reduced rate, with an original goal of completing 250 cards, Rambadt said, though the response required additional cards to be purchased.

“This was a tremendous success and a credit to the GVSU campus community’s ability to give something back,” Rambadt said.

Mail can be sent to:
Holiday Mail for Heroes
P.O. Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

The deadline for having cards to the P.O. Box is Dec. 7.