Climbing the Cook Carillon Tower

GVL / Kevin Sielaff - The Cook Carillon Tower offers free tours while university carillonneur Julianne Vanden Wyngaard plays the instrument Dec. 8 in Allendale.

Kevin Sielaff

GVL / Kevin Sielaff – The Cook Carillon Tower offers free tours while university carillonneur Julianne Vanden Wyngaard plays the instrument Dec. 8 in Allendale.

Katherine West

The clock tower’s chime is something that most Lakers come to grow and love during their college career. What many Lakers do not know is that it’s not always a computer in charge of playing those songs. On Tuesday afternoon, members of the Laker community were given the opportunity to tour the Cook Carillon Tower and witness the process behind the bells themselves.

The Cook Carillon Tower is 100 feet tall and was built in 1994. Named for long-time Grand Valley State University supporters Peter and Pat Cook, the tower contains 48 brass bells that were made in the Netherlands. The tone of each bell is determined by its size and weight.

Julianne Vanden Wyngaard, university carillonneur, facilitated these tours.

“There are 48 bells, and they go up all above us in circles up to the top,” Wyngaard said. “The biggest bell weighs 3,000 pounds and is about as tall as I am, about 5 feet tall. In the carillon downtown, that same bell is 5,000 pounds and again about 5 feet tall. The lightest bell weighs 14 pounds. The tower holds about 23,000 pounds of bronze bells.”

The melodies booming from the bells are not always auto-generated.

“The hour strikes are played by the computer, while the noon recitals are played by myself and a few others, including a student,” Wyngaard said. “The difference between the computer playing and a person is the amount of expression in the tune. There will be less expression when played by the computer.”

In order to learn how to play the bells, Wyngaard was required to take four years of international study in the Netherlands.

“I was there for four years and earned a degree from the carillon school in the Netherlands,” Wyngaard said. “I played piano first which made this easier to learn. There was a big learning curve because the technique of playing is different than piano as you play the carillon with your fist. There also many pedals on the Carillon which are not on the piano. It was a wonderful experience learning how to play there. If you can learn to play piano, you can learn to play this.”

The GVSU community took full advantage of the tours with participation from undergraduates, graduates and faculty and staff.

“It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience to go up in the clock tower,” said Madeline Cooper, a GVSU freshman. “It was fascinating. To actually play the 3,000-pound bell was so cool — it was liberating.”

Students interested in taking lessons for the carillon bells should contact the music department.