News Briefs: Interpersonal Communication

Excellence series: interpersonal communication and dealing with gossip

The human resources department at Grand Valley State University is hosting a communication workshop today from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. in Room 2263 in the Kirkhof Center and from 1 to 4 p.m. in Room 340 in the Bicycle Factory. The workshop is open to GVSU faculty and staff.

In the session, training consultant Bobby Johnson will teach attendees how to communicate effectively by identifying personalities, developing methods for tricky situations and improving listening skills.

To register, visit www.gvsu.edu/seminar, or contact [email protected] for more information.

Beyond Bisexuality event

The Grand Valley State University LGBT Resource Center is sponsoring gay-rights activist Robyn Ochs’ talk at 4 p.m. on Oct. 6 in Room 2204 in the Kirkhof Center. This event is LIB 100/201 approved.

Ochs will speak about what it means to be bisexual, identify challenges people may have in understanding this and provide tips for how to deal with ignorance and phobias.

Ochs is the editor of the anthology “Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World,” co-founder of the Bisexual Resource Center and has taught several university courses on this topic. She received the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Susan J. Hyde Activism Award for her work.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/lgbtrc/beyond-bisexuality-101-90.htm/.

Undergraduate research fair

The Grand Valley State University Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship is sponsoring the sixth annual undergraduate research fair from 5 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday in the Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room.

The research fair gives students the opportunity to talk with faculty and staff and see how they can get involved with research projects on campus. Research can add to a student’s educational experience and broaden their mind in various ways. Any student in any field is encouraged to attend.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/ours/.

Wheelhouse Talk: Cook Leadership Academy alumni panel

The Grand Valley State University L. William Seidman Center will host the first Wheelhouse Talk of the 2014-2015 series at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday. This event is LIB 100 approved, and it is open to the community.

The event features four young professionals who all graduated from GVSU. They will present their ideas on leadership. Wheelhouse Talks is a presentation series in which entrepreneurs, local leaders and business owners share their experiences with students.

To register, visit gvsu.edu/s/Jb. For more information, visit www.hauensteincenter.org.

GV named 24th in the 2015 Educate to Career rankings index

A California-based nonprofit, Educate to Career, named Grand Valley State University 24th out of 1,224 schools based on the successful rate of students employed in their major field after graduation. ETC calculates the improvement in earnings and employability of people who attend certain colleges.

Only two Michigan schools appear on the top 100 list, GVSU at 24 and Central Michigan University at 59.

For more rankings, visit www.jobsearchintelligence.com/etc/college-rankings-result.php.