Arts Briefs

GV Chamber Orchestra to perform with faculty soloists

Performing with the Grand Valley State University faculty string trio, clarinet professor Arthur Campbell and music department chair Danny Phipps, the GVSU Chamber Orchestra will perform at 7:30 p.m. on March 22 in the Cook-DeWitt Center.

The Faculty String Trio with Sookkyung Cho on piano and Michael Hovnanian on bass will perform Franz Schubert’s “Trout Quintet.”

Bela Bartok’s “Divertimento for Strings, movement three” will be performed by the GVSU Chamber Orchestra. The Chamber Orchestra, along with faculty soloists, Campbell and Phipps, will play Franz Danzi’s “Duo for Clarinet and Bassoon.”

The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (616) 331-3484 or visit www.gvsu.edu/music.

Arts at Noon: Maestro Ustad Shafaat Khan

The Arts at Noon series will continue at noon on March 23 in the Cook-DeWitt Center with a visit from Ustad Shaffaat Khan. Khan is an Indian classical musician who has performed worldwide at many prestigious concert halls, music festivals and universities. Recently, he performed with Stevie Wonder at the Bonnaroo festival.

In the past, he’s shared a television concert with Ray Charles in Germany. In addition, some of his CDs have been produced by Deepak Chopra. In the history of Indian classical music, Khan has distinguished himself by being the first known artist to have attained simultaneous excellence in performing sitar, surbahar and tabla.

The event is free and open to the public. For more information visit www.gvsu.edu/music.

“Great Lakes: Image & Word” Panel Discussion

The Art Gallery in the Performing Arts Center will be hosting a panel featuring artists and poets who have worked together on the pieces in the gallery. From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on March 24 in the gallery the artists and poets will discuss their collaborations and creative processes.

The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact the Art Gallery at (616) 331-2563.

Free workshop on Shakespeare auditions

On March 25, the Louis Armstrong Theatre will feature an event from noon to 3 p.m. with speaker Katherine Mayberry.

Students interested in auditioning for the fall 2016 Shakespeare Festival production “Measure by Measure,” directed by Roger Ellis, can sign up at the Louis Armstrong Theatre box office. Audition dates are April 3 and April 4.

Both of the events are located in Performing Arts Center Room 1506. Sign up at the box office by calling (616) 331-2300 or by emailing [email protected].

The workshop is free, but space is limited.

Alex Aninos Scholarship Recital

The Department of Music and Dance is hosting the Alex Aninos Memorial Scholoarship Recital at 7 p.m. on March 25 in the Cook-DeWitt Center. The scholarship was established in memory of Alex Aninos, to fund an annually awarded scholarship for a music student who shows potential and positivity. The recital is will showcase many of the talented students of the Department of Music and Dance. Donations will be accepted to fund the scholarship.

For more information, call the Department of Music and Dance office at (616) 331-3484 or visit www.gvsu.edu/music