Arts and entertainment briefs: 11/12

Jenny Adkins

Video screening showcased memories and experiences from Holocaust survivors

On Thursday, Nov. 8, Grand Valley State University was planning to welcome Henry Greenspan and his play, “Remnants.” Remnants recreates moments and experiences from Holocaust survivors that Greenspan has collected over the last 40 years by conducting various interviews based on what survivors lived through and what trauma they endured.

Due to unexpected events, Greenspan was unable to attend the performance at GVSU. Rob Franciosi, coordinator of the event and English professor at Grand Valley said, “(Greenspan) provided a video, which I did a screening for students.”

The event was sponsored by the Joseph Stevens Freedom Endowment and Frederik Meijer Honors College. 

The Grand Rapids Civic Theatre presents Disney’s “The Little Mermaid”

Starting Friday, Nov. 16, the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre invites guests of all ages to come check out the iconic play “The Little Mermaid” for the first time ever. 

The classic musical will feature songs from Academy Award-winning Alan Menken, creator for “Kiss the Girl” and “Under the Sea.” With songs like this, The Little Mermaid is destined for success, as it was a huge hit on Broadway. 

The show begins on Friday, Nov. 16 and will continue through Sunday, Dec. 16. Tickets will range from $17-39 depending on the seating arrangement. 

For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.grct.org. 

Calling all actors and actresses: Haas Center for Performing Arts to host auditions for upcoming performances

On Tuesday, Nov. 13 and Wednesday, Nov. 14, GVSU’s Department of Music, Theatre and Dance is hosting auditions for E.B. White’s “Stuart Little” as well as Christopher Durang’s “The Actor’s Nightmare.”

Auditions will be held from 6-8 p.m. in the Haas Center for Performing Arts (HCPA) in room 1506. Students are expected to bring a memorized contemporary, monologue or cold reads. Students can sign up at the box office in person or via phone at (616) 331-2300. Both shows will begin Thursday, Jan. 17 and will continue through Sunday, Jan. 20. 

In addition, beginning on Thursday, Nov. 29 and continuing on Friday, Nov. 30, GVSU’s Haas Center for Performing Arts will be hosting auditions for “God of Carnage” by Yasmina Riza. On Nov. 29, auditions will be from 6:30-8 p.m., and auditions for Nov. 30 will be from 1-3:30 p.m. Both sessions will be held in the HCPA in room 1506. 

Students are not required to memorize a monologue, but they are encouraged to prepare one if need be. Call backs are to be expected on Monday, Dec. 3.