Art Briefs

HerStory event to feature Dr. Melba Velez Ortiz

Sponsored by the Grand Valley State University Women’s Commission, “HerStory” is a series offering students the chance to engage with the experiences of women in leadership positions.

Located in the Pere Marquette Room of the Kirkhof Center, the event is on March 1 at noon. The experience will feature the views of Melba Velez Ortiz, assistant professor of communications at GVSU. The title of her upcoming talk is “Life as a peep show.”

In 2015, the Women’s Commission featured the 50th installment of the series. Contact the commission at [email protected] for more details or for special accommodations.

Benefit concert in Flint sponsored by the Voices of GV

The Voices of Grand Valley State University will sponsor a concert in Flint, Michigan to uplift the spirits of residents affected by the water crisis. Donations will be collected to be distributed in the community.

On Feb. 27, “Living Water” will begin at 6 p.m. at Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church. The church is located at 2109 Martin Luther King Ave. in Flint. The concert is free to attend, but donations will be accepted.

Lakers can drop off donations of water, hand sanitizer, wet wipes and other supplies to the Women’s Center in the Kirkhof Center. The supplies will go directly to the church for distribution.

For more information, contact Cassonya Carter at [email protected].

GV Career Fair to feature over 200 employers

Hosted by Grand Valley State University, the career fair is the place for students to search for jobs, internships and other clinical opportunities. Students can network with over 200 employers.

Thousands of immediate openings will be available, for those interested in interviewing for positions. All majors are encouraged to attend.

The event will be held on Feb. 25 in the DeVos Place in Grand Rapids. The fair will begin at 12:30 p.m.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/events/career-exploration.

New Music Ensemble student composition competition

On Feb. 25, the annual New Music Ensemble student composition competition will take place at the Grand Valley State University Performing Arts Center.

The event will begin at 7:30 p.m., where GVSU student composers create 60-second pieces in response to the Art Gallery show titled “Great Lakes: Image & Word.”

The audience favorite will win a prize, while judges choose three winners for cash prizes. For more information, call (616) 331-3484.