News briefs: Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers set to perform at Fall Arts Celebration

Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers set to perform at Fall Arts Celebration

The internationally renowned Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers are set to perform at this year’s Grand Valley State University Fall Arts Celebration dance event on Nov. 2.

The Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers are known for performances that combine modern American and Asian tradition choreography. Music composed by GVSU alumnus Dan Rhode and performed by GVSU’s New Music Ensemble will guide the dancers’ choreography.

“Meditations in Motion: Virtuosity and Imagination in Dance – Innovation and Modernity in Music” will take place at 7:30 p.m. inside the Performing Art Center’s Louis Armstrong Theatre, located on GVSU’s Allendale Campus.

For more information, go to www.gvsu.edu/fallarts or call (616) 331-2185.

Hope Bridge screening and discussion

A film focusing on the effects of depression and suicide will serve as the final event for Grand Valley State University’s Mental Health Awareness Week on Oct. 29.

Released in 2015, Hope Bridge follows a high school student’s journey of reconciliation after learning that his father committed suicide. The film is followed by a panel discussion that focuses on mental health and ways for students, faculty and staff to combat suicidal thoughts within themselves or others.

The screening and panel discussion will take place from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Mary Idema Pew Library Multipurpose Room.

For more information, contact Ryn Thelen at [email protected].

Dance of the Dead

The Grand Valley State University Swing Dance Club will host a Halloween-themed party that is open to the entire campus community on Oct. 29.

At the “Dance of the Dead” event, students can expects an assortment of different foods, swing dancing, games, as well as a costume contest.

The event is set to take place from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center lobby, located on GVSU’s Allendale Campus.

For additional information, contact the GVSU Swing Dance Club at [email protected]

Careers in Computing

Freshman and sophomore students taking CIS 150 at Grand Valley State University are invited to attend presentations from three different computing employers on Oct. 29.

With an emphasis on females, the three employer speakers will aim to motivate students to pursue computing as a lifelong career following graduation from GVSU.

Each employer will have 10 minutes for their presentation. Following these presentations, a panel discussion moderated by CIS professor David Lange will allow for students to ask questions concerning careers in computing.

“Careers in Computing” will take place from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Cook-DeWitt Center, located on GVSU’s Allendale Campus.

Health Care Experience Workshop

Grand Valley State University students who are interested in health-related fields can come out to the workshop from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Oct. 29 in Room 123 Manitou Hall, located on the Allendale Campus.

A panel discussion will take place, featuring representatives from clinics and health organizations. Students who are encouraged to attend if they are going into medical school, radiology, physical therapy, nursing, health communications and more.

For more information, contact the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences department at (616) 331-8585.