Art Briefs: July Issue

Chris Heivly to share ‘Creative Conversation’

Speaking as part of the Creative Conversation series, Chris Heivly, the co-founder of MapQuest and the Startup Factory, will be at Grand Valley State University’s Innovation Hub in Muskegon, on July 28.

As a mentor and investor, Heivly will share his experience on launching an idea, a project or a business. From 9 a.m. to 1 a.m, each registered attendee will receive a complimentary copy of his book ‘Build the Fort’ and the book signing will follow.

Those who attend must register to guarantee a spot. The cost is $25 a person and $15 for students.

For more information, visit http://www.gvsu.edu/events/ideas-are-the-easy-part-now-what/.

Annual engineering design conference at GVSU

Senior engineering students in Grand Valley State University’s Seymour and Esther Padnos College of Engineering and Computing are set to display their expertise at the annual Engineering Design Conference.

The event will take place on Aug. 5 from 1 p.m. until 4:30 p.m., located at the Kennedy Hall of Engineering and Keller Engineering Lab Building on Grand Rapid’s Pew Campus.

During the ceremony, each student receives an iron ring, which is placed on a finger of the working hand, symbolizing the step between training and experience.

As graduates must complete a year-long co-op experience, their degrees will be awarded during the ceremony instead of earlier at the winter semester commencement.
For more information contact [email protected].

GVSU ranked on top Graduate Program list for 2016

The SR Education Group, an online education publisher based in Kirkland, Washington, released the the 2016 Top Graduate Schools list on GraduatePrograms.com. Grand Valley State university was ranked nationally for student satisfaction ratings.
Grand Valley State University ranked at 33 for Social Work and 23 for the Physical Therapy graduate degrees.

The survey collected the feedback from over 1,700 schools from students, and more than 50,000 student reviews were submitted.

Check out the entire list at http://www.graduateprograms.com/school-rankings.

Farmer’s Market food demonstrations held at GVSU

Sponsored by Human Resources and Grand Valley State University Department of Public Health, Jody Vogelzan, registered dietitian, will present recipes and tips for healthy meals using ingredients fresh from the GVSU Farmer’s Market.

The 2016 Farmer’s Market Food Demos will take place in Parking Lot G at GVSU’s Allendale Campus on Aug. 3 at noon. If inclement weather should occur, the demonstrations move to the Kirkhof Center’s Room 2270.

The event is free for the public to attend. However, registration is required at www.gvsu.edu/sprout.