News Briefs: Student film project to debut

Drew Howard

Student film project to debut

The 2015 Grand Valley State University summer film project, “The Lens,” will have its debut screening at the Celebration! Cinema North in Grand Rapids on April 29.

“The Lens” tells the story of a woman named Isabelle who discovers a camera lens with mystical powers of healing. However, every time she uses the camera for healing, she also loses a piece of her soul.

The film was created by 20 GVSU students and edited over a 15-week fall 2015 semester course.

Shooting locations include the Grand Rapids Art Museum, Rosa Parks Circle and the Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts, among other places.

The screening is set to take place at 8 p.m. and costs $5 per person (cash only).

Reception to celebrate Bart Merkle’s departure from GV

After serving at Grand Valley State University for more than two decades, Bart Merkle will be stepping down from his position as vice provost for student affairs and dean of students in the summer of 2016.

To celebrate his time as vice provost, faculty and staff will be throwing Merkle a going away party from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. in Room 2204 of the Kirkhof Center on April 22.

Provost Gayle Davis will make remarks about Merkle’s impact at 2 p.m.

After departing from his current role, Merkle is expected to transition into a faculty member position within the College of Education.

Haas to recognize graduating seniors with free pancake breakfast

Graduating seniors are invited to join President Thomas Haas for a free pancake breakfast to commemorate their time at Grand Valley State University on April 22.

In addition to the free pancakes, graduating seniors will be treated to a photo booth, gifts and a tour of the Alumni House. Attendees will also learn about ways to stay involved with GVSU following graduation.

“Pancakes with the President” will take place from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. in the Alumni House, located on GVSU’s Allendale Campus. The event is open only to graduating seniors.

Project Day to feature work from engineering and computing students

Undergraduate and graduate students within a variety of majors will put their projects on display for public viewing during Grand Valley State University’s Project Day on April 21.

Project Day will feature work from students within the engineering, computing, occupational safety and health management majors. Projects include a virtual chess game, a wireless weather station and an app that projects patient overcrowding, among others.

Close to 250 Grand Rapids high school students and visitors are expected to show up to learn how engineering and computing impacts everyday life.

Project day will take place from 10 a.m. until noon in the Kennedy Hall of Engineering and Keller Engineering Labs, located on the Pew Campus.

Swing Dance Club to host its first showcase

Grand Valley State University’s Swing Dance Club will host its very first showcase performance for the public on April 22.

The showcase will feature a variety of swing dance styles from GVSU students who have been training for this exact moment. The event will also feature free food provided by campus dining as well as carnations for sale to gift dancers.

The Swing Dance Club’s showcase will take place at 8 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room. Those interested in showing off their dance moves are invited to participate in an open dance portion of the night.

For more information about the showcase, contact the GVSU Swing Dance Club at [email protected].