Meet the President

GVL/Kevin Sielaff
Maddie Cleghorn is elected Student Senate president Thursday, April 9, 2015 during the Student Senate cabinet elections. The elections are held annually in order to choose correct leadership to move the student body forward in the coming year.

GVL/Kevin Sielaff Maddie Cleghorn is elected Student Senate president Thursday, April 9, 2015 during the Student Senate cabinet elections. The elections are held annually in order to choose correct leadership to move the student body forward in the coming year.

Hannah Lentz

HL: How many years have you served on student senate and what positions have you held?

MC: This will be my third year on senate, and last year I served as the vice president for external relations.

HL: Could you give me bit of a personal bio?

MC: I am a junior majoring in political science and minoring in Spanish, and I hope to go to law school after graduating from Grand Valley State University. I spent last summer studying abroad in Spain where I spent eight weeks traveling and practicing lots of Spanish. Aside from senate, I am also a member of Phi Mu fraternity, where I served as vice president of the cabinet for the 2014-2015 year. I have also recently been accepted into the Cook Leadership Academy, which I am really looking forward to in the coming year.

HL: What is your favorite part about senate?

MC: My favorite part about senate is being able to work with people who are so passionate about GVSU’s success and the success of our fellow Lakers. It really is a unique experience to have a group of people, with strengths and skills in all different areas, work together for the purpose of making GVSU the best place it can be. Everyone has his or her own reason for loving GVSU so much, and I’m looking forward to seeing how that translates into next year’s hard work and results.

HL: What’s something you think you could improve on?

MC: I would like to see more cross-committee work on the body (of the student senate). We work best when we have people with different strengths and perspectives working together on a project. I would also like to work with our vice president for public relations to ensure students know that senate exists as a resource for them, and that they know how or why they might want to reach out to us.

HL: Could you give me a brief, broad summary of the duties as president?

MC: The duties of the president involve a wide range of responsibilities, but one of the largest is serving as the representative and/or spokesperson for the student voice and senate’s work in faculty governance, the board of trustees, and a number of other committees, boards, and initiatives at the university. The president chairs the cabinet, and works very closely with the executive vice president and seven other vice presidents, serving as a sounding board and source of information. The president is also responsible for communicating information from senate to administration, and vice versa.

HL: What was your reaction when you were elected?

MC: I was ecstatic to be elected and so humbled by the support of my colleagues and friends. It is incredibly exciting to hear the optimism for next year, coming from people who I know are capable of such great accomplishments. I have the utmost respect for this group, and it is the greatest honor that they trust me to help lead the way next year.

HL: What are you most excited for this year?

MC: This year I am most excited about working with my awesome cabinet and the rest of this group of leaders who are so engaged on campus. Between the seven committees, we have a lot of room to do some great work for GVSU in making it a place that over 25,000 students want to call home. I’m looking forward to collaborating with faculty governance, departments, offices and student organizations on a number of initiatives and events.

HL: Anything else you would like to add?

MC: I am a huge fan of coffee, and I love running, reading, traveling, dogs, the beach, live music and plays and spending time with my friends and family.