Laker Life Briefs 1/28/19

Amy McNeel

Explore rec options at 2019 Wellness Fair  

Campus Recreation is hosting the 2019 Wellness Fair on Wednesday, Feb. 13. The fair is open to all Grand Valley State University students, faculty and staff. 

At the fair, attendees will hear from and discuss with other GVSU community members who have implemented a healthy lifestyle. The discussion will leave attendees with knowledge on real world situations, challenges and solutions. They will also get to explore the wellness programs and resources available at GVSU. 

The fair will include a flu shot clinic, free food samples, campus wellness resource fair, poster presentations and a Laker Store raffle and prizes. 

The Wellness Fair is taking place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the GVSU Pew Campus, DeVos Student Project Area and UClub. 

Get fit with CHS Fit Walks 

The GVSU Center for Health Sciences (CHS) is hosting a series of CHS Fit Walks, which are taking place every Monday through April. 

The walks provide a full body workout that is lower impact than jogging. The sessions are led by a qualified instructor, last one hour and consist of walking and other optional body weight exercises. Each walk will cover about two or three miles. 

Each walk takes place from noon to 1 p.m. and starts and ends at the Health Campus CHS Lobby. The next Fit Walk will take place Monday, Feb. 4. To register for Fit Walks, visit www.gvsu.edu/sprout.

Explore history through the Stories of Summer Exhibit 

The Grand Valley State University Kutsche Office of Local History is hosting “So You Want to do a History Harvest, Stories of Summer” on Tuesday, Feb. 5. The Kutsche Office partners with local communities to collect, preserve and showcase their distinctive histories.  

The event will showcase oral histories, historic documents and archived photos. To run the event, the office has partnered with local community groups, libraries and schools. The event will also include a discussion and the opening reception for the Stories of Summer Exhibit. 

The event is taking place from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Mary Idema Pew Library Multipurpose Room.