Quick Hits: GVSU athletes receive academic honors

Lanthorn Staff

102 GVSU athletes receive academic honors

The GLIAC recently announced its All-Academic and All-Excellence lists for the 2015-16 winter season, and 102 Grand Valley State athletes were honored.

To make the All-Academic list, athletes must maintain a GPA of 3.00 to 3.49. To be named to the All-Excellence list, athletes must maintain a GPA of 3.5 to 4.00. Freshman athletes and first-year transfer students are not eligible for the awards. Both lists consider athletes’ GPA through the 2015 fall semester.

GVSU athletes from the men’s and women’s basketball, indoor track and field and swim and dive teams made it onto both lists. A complete look of the lists can be found at www.gliac.org.

Indurain nabs athlete of the week honor

Grand Valley State’s Beatriz Indurain has been named the GLIAC Women’s Track Athlete of the Week. The honor comes after Indurain’s performance at the GVSU-Tune Up meet on Feb. 19.

Indurain, a transfer student from Ursuline College hailing from Barcelona, Spain, finished with a time of 8.53 seconds in the 60 meter hurdle preliminaries. It was the top time in the GLIAC and was good for fifth-best in the country.

Indurain will hope to find more success this weekend, as the Lakers tavel to Tiffin University for the 2016 GLIAC Championships. The two-day event will start on Feb. 27 and conclude the next day.

Lacrosse earns highest ranking in program history

The Grand Valley State women’s lacrosse team is ranked 11th in the latest Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association Division II Coaches’ Poll, the highest ranking in the team’s history.

The ranking comes after the Lakers split their first two games of the season, defeating 12th-ranked Florida Southern 10-7, and then losing to top-ranked and defending national champion Adelphi, 16-6.

The Lakers were previously ranked 15th, and now only 10th-ranked West Chester stands in their way of cracking the top ten. West Chester currently has 26 more total votes than the Lakers, but has yet to play a game this season. Adelphi retained its No. 1 ranking, and Florida Southern dropped just behind the Lakers at No. 12.

The Lakers will hit the road to face No. 3-ranked Lindenwood on Feb. 28, and a win could potentially push GVSU into the top 10 for the first time in the program’s young history.