Laker Traditions hosts GV’s Got Talent

Band West And Run, rockin out at GVs Got Talent. Band members had the opportunity to be the closing act for the night and did not disappoint the crowd.

Laine Girard

Band West And Run, rockin out at GV’s Got Talent. Band members had the opportunity to be the closing act for the night and did not disappoint the crowd.

Audra Gamble

As a part of the Battle of the Valleys, Grand Valley State University’s Laker Traditions Team held GV’s Got Talent on Nov. 12 to fundraise for this year’s non-profit, S.P.O.R.T.S.

The event charged a $5 admission donation, which will be added to GVSU’s fundraising total.

The evening began with a fashion show featuring GVSU varsity athletes walking the runway. The student-athletes displayed their sports uniforms as well as street clothes.

After the fashion show, the talent competition began, judged by LeaAnn Tibbe, the assistant director of Student Life; Ricardo Benavidez, Student Senate president; and Louie the Laker.

There were eight competitors, including a band, multiple singers, a hula hoop artist and more.

The first place trophy went to Gabrielle Hutchinson, who hula hooped with a light-up hoop that changed designs. The second place trophy went to Jacob Guajardo, who performed an original song called “Sad Boy Sings Song.”

“My favorite part is all the different talents,” event coordinator Alicia Arnold said. “We held auditions for this event and it was amazing to see all the talents people have that I never would have known if we didn’t host this event.”

While the event was meant to entertain, the talent show’s purpose was to raise funds, and early estimates were that the evening raised just over $200.

“We had 38 paid, so it’s around $190 in donations,” Arnold said.

The Fashion Club, Athletic Department, Spotlight Productions, Student Senate, and Laker Traditions Team all hosted the event.

“Battle of the Valleys is not the football game,” said Alyssa Smith, overall chair for Laker Traditions. “It’s a fundraiser for a non-profit the Student Senate picks every year. We want to raise as much money as possible. It looks really bad when we go on the field and our checks to charity are $10,000 to $20,000 less than SVSU’s are. Obviously we want to beat SVSU, but we want to give back as much money to the community as we can.”

Other fundraisers planned include doughnut sales in Kirkhof from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. and a volleyball tournament Friday.

“We just wish there was as much hype about the fundraising as the game,” Arnold said.

For a full list of events, visit www.gvsu.edu/battleofthevalleys.