Double Reed Day aims to foster collaboration between musicians of all ages

Courtesy Photo / Marlen Vavrikova
2012 Double Reed Day

Courtesy Photo / Marlen Vavrikova 2012 Double Reed Day

TJ Kimball

From the volunteer center to Community Working Classics, Grand Valley State University is constantly looking to engage its students with the greater world through various programs and organizations.

One such program is known as Double Reed Day – a series that serves as an opportunity for oboe and bassoon enthusiasts to explore their field in a professional setting. The one-day gathering is hosted by GVSU’s department of music and dance, and has taken place the past eight consecutive years.

“Double Reed Days have become an important event at Grand Valley to which many local high school, middle school and university students come every year,” said Marlen Varvikova, associate professor of oboe at GVSU. “The event brings in students from around Michigan and surrounding states, and offers them a chance to attend masters classes, rehearsals, presentations and more.”

The series is set to take place on Nov. 22 and will last throughout the majority of the day. The evening concludes with a concert by the GVSU orchestra directed by Pablo Mahave-Veglia. Varvikova will also be a member of the performance.

“The program has helped attract students to attend Grand Valley,” Varvikova said. “This is one of the most valuable experiences, where students can not only hear, but also see professionals in action.”

The program has grown in both size and popularity since its inception in 2006. Previous years have seen musicians from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Cleveland Orchestra, the University of Michigan and many others. Guest performers for this year’s Double Reed Day include Erin Hannigan, principal oboe of the Dallas symphony, and David McGill, a professor of bassoon at Northwestern University.

This year’s event differs from previous ones by focusing primarily on chamber music, with specific emphasis being given to close collaboration between university, middle school and high school students.

“Our GVSU students will rehearse and perform side by side with Double Reed Day participants,” Varvikova said. “Meanwhile, our afternoon sessions at 4 p.m. will spotlight our guest artists. Mr. McGill will talk about his book ‘Sound in Motion: A Performer’s Guide to Greater Musical Expression;’ and Erin Hannigan will introduce the predecessor of the contemporary oboe: the Baroque Oboe.”

Varvikova added that she looks forward to meeting new oboists and bassoonists, but is also hoping to see some familiar faces.

“Once a year, the music building is filled with the haunting sounds of double reeds,” she said. “Even if you’re not an oboist or basoonist, I encourage you to stop by and listen to master classes, presentations or recitals.”

Students looking for a detailed schedule of the day’s events can find it at gvsu.edu/music.