American Marketing Association at GVSU receives national recognition

GVL / Courtesy - Kristi Grden
GVSU American Marketing Association

Kristi Grden

GVL / Courtesy – Kristi Grden GVSU American Marketing Association

Hannah Lentz

The American Marketing Association (AMA) at GVSU has earned their fair share of awards at the annual International Collegiate Conference. After taking home several awards at last year’s conference, the GVSU chapter received this year’s “Exemplary College Chapter Performance” recognition.

GVSU students awarded included: Christian Carr, Kristi Grden, Marisa Bertoia, Melissa Vu, Maddie Rich, Samantha Stewart and Tyler Evans.

Taking place from March 17 – March 19, board members of the GVSU AMA chapter attended the 38th annual International Collegiate AMA Conference in New Orleans. Welcoming over 1,400 marketers, the event allowed for networking opportunities and possible professional connections, said Maria Landon, GVSU’s AMA adviser.

The student-run organization received the Exemplary Performance Award based on the work they have done as a chapter. In order to be eligible, the GVSU chapter had to submit an annual report. Included in this report was a detailed description of everything the chapter accomplished throughout the year, including fundraisers, firm tours and meetings with speakers, implementation of directors and a recruitment video.

This annual report is then submitted to the national association, where it is judged based on accomplishments and results of the academic year.

“Our executive board worked very hard this year to make a memorable experience for our members and we are happy with our results,” Grden said.

Advisers for the chapter, Landon and Kevin Lehnert also submitted an abstract titled, “Advising Student Organizations via Value Based Leadership” at the conference, which was published and recognized. Landon was given the opportunity to present the abstract to those in attendance.

After coming back from the International Collegiate Conference, the AMA chapter at GVSU is looking forward to applying the information they learned at the event, Grden said.

“The future of AMA will be bright,” Grden said. “As digital marketing is growing, we want to offer our members workshops in Photoshop and Illustrator to help students become more marketable.”

Another focus will be on gaining members and providing unique networking experiences for GVSU students that will help them when they enter the professional world after graduation.

“My experience in AMA has been incredible and I would recommend anyone who wants to expand their group of contacts to come and check out a meeting,” Grden said. “Networking is so important in today’s world. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.”