Arts briefs 2/9

‘Cupid’s Contributions’ fundraiser

For anyone looking for the perfect Valentine’s Day card or who simply wants to donate to a beneficial cause, the Grand Valley State University Writing Center is hosting a fundraiser for Replenish, the food pantry ran by the GVSU Women’s Center.

Students and faculty will be stationed outside the Writing Center in Lake Ontario Hall Room 120 Monday, Feb. 13, and Tuesday, Feb. 14. The group will write custom poetry and make cards for cash, and will sell or trade cards for food.

For those looking for a cheesy pun or a heart-warming handmade gift, the group will hold hours from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

American Red Cross Blood Drive

The American Red Cross will hold a blood drive at Grand Valley State University Tuesday, Feb. 14, located in the Kirkhof Center’s Pere Marquette Room.

The medical staff will be taking donations from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., as all students and faculty are welcome to join the cause. To ensure the safety for both donors and recipients, all volunteers will be evaluated to determine eligibility to give blood. Participants should be in good health and weigh at least 110 lbs.

For more information, contact Ashley Minor at [email protected].

‘All About You: The Art of Writing Personal Statements’

Throughout life, the skill of writing and crafting personal statements is sure to appear when applying for fellowships, jobs and scholarships. The goal is to standout with a unique piece that encompasses who you are and your personal goals. That is why the “All About You: The Art of Writing Personal Statements” event plans to show Grand Valley State University students how to perfect this craft. 

The workshop, Thursday, Feb. 16, will take place from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. as students will learn the best strategies for writing structure, revision, editing and word count. All students are welcome to attend and no previous writing experience is required. The event is sponsored by the Frederik Meijer Office of Fellowships. To reserve a spot, visit the Office of Fellowships webpage as space is limited.

GV Positive Black Women ‘A tribute to Black Women’ event

In honor of those who are under recognized and have shaped history, the Grand Valley State University Positive Black Women group presents “A Tribute to Black Women: Strong, Fierce and Dynamic Divas” Tuesday, Feb. 14, co-sponsored by the Division of Inclusion and Equity and the Women’s Center.

This event is located in the Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room, but space is limited so reservation is required before Friday, Feb. 10 to ensure a spot. The event will take place from noon to 1 p.m., and highlight black women for their accomplishments. Those who attend are expected to learn intercultural knowledge and competence, and intake personal stories for lifelong growth.

The tribute will include poetry, song and dance, as well as lunch will be provided. For more information, contact [email protected].