News briefs

Lakers win Gold Pixie Award

Two Grand Valley State University film and video production students won a Gold Pixie award honoring excellence in motion graphics, visual effects and animation.

Created by Mayna Duarte and Arthur Bowman III, the short five-minute video titled “Tapping in: Stop.Think.Connect” addresses the issue of cyber security through music, dancing and impressive visual effects.

Duarte and Bowman III were tasked by both the Department of Homeland Security and the West Michigan Cyber Security Commission to create a video that would address the necessary steps forprotecting oneself against online hackers.

For more information about the project, contact Kim Roberts at [email protected] or go to www.pixieawards.com.

GVS(You) tallies 600 thank-you notes

The final numbers for GVS(You) week show that over 600 Grand Valley State University students wrote thank-you notes to donors for their contributions to campus.

GVS(You) week, which took place from Feb. 16-20, is a celebration dedicated to honoring the donors that help sustain GVSU and make life on campus possible for students.

Students were given the chance to write letters to donors through different stations located all around the Allendale and Grand Rapids Pew Campus. Regional centers in Muskegon, Holland and Traverse City also took part in writing letters.

For more information about GVS(You) week, contact Leah Twilley at 616-331-2221.

Shannon Owen appointed director of Regional Center

After joining the staff in late January, Shannon Owen has now been appointed the director of Grand Valley State University’s Traverse City Regional Center.

Owen was previously a manager of Northern Michigan Programs for Eastern Michigan University and an academic career adviser for Northwestern Michigan College. She is currently a part of the Traverse City Young Professionals, an organization devoted to the development of young professionals in hopes create change within the community.

Her job will include direction and oversight of programs with an emphasis on discovering opportunities to create new connections with the community.

For more information, contact Michelle Coffill at 616-331-2221.

Surplus Store one-year anniversary sale

Grand Valley State University’s Surplus Store will celebrate its first year of operation by marking off all items in the store by 15 percent.

Along with this sales cut, anyone who stops by can enjoy free popcorn and take part in a giveaway contest for a GVSU T-shirt and a $25 gift certificate to the Surplus Store.

Items on sale include laptops, desktops, iPhones, projector screens, video recorders, printers, monitors, binders, folders, desks, chairs, couches, freezers.

The sale goes from 9 a.m.to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 28. The store is located at 140 Front Ave. on the GVSU Pew Campus.

For more information contact the Surplus Store at 616-331-9072.

Financial aid workshop

Students interested in learning more about money and financial tips for the future can attend a free workshop from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m on Saturday, Feb. 28. The event is located at the DeVos Center in room 107C. A continental breakfast is available prior to the workshop starting at 9:30 a.m.

Titled “PACES Workshop – Planning for the Future: Student Loans, Debt Management and Financial Planning,” the workshop will focus on effective strategies for students to manage their finances.

The event features financial aid experts Sheri Postema and Edward Jones along with some added assistance from the Grand Valley State University Financial Aid office.

For more information about the workshop, contact Brent Showerman at [email protected]