Zoca-to-go comes to Allendale Campus

GVL / Eric Coulter
Senior Aly Mendels gets some food between classes from Cody Gallagher and Rachel Lawton at the Zoca Express food cart.

GVL / Eric Coulter Senior Aly Mendels gets some food between classes from Cody Gallagher and Rachel Lawton at the Zoca Express food cart.

Emelie Milnikel

Need Zoca fast and don’t have time to visit River Landing? Grand Valley State University’s Campus Dining has a solution. As part of a new street food initiative at GVSU, Campus Dining introduced a new Zoca Express Cart this fall, located by Lake Huron Hall on the Allendale campus.

Ryan Jones, the senior food service director for Campus Dining, said the street food idea came from researching opportunities to increase the variety and convenience for Campus Dining.
Zoca Express will provide students with the opportunity to eat on-the-go and have another meal option on campus.

Right now, Jones said Zoca will be on campus not only during those peak school hours, but at GVSU home football games – there’s also a tentative plan to open up another street vending option for winter semester.

He also plans to keep the Zoca truck open as late into the semester as possible, with weather permitting, and is hoping to put in space heaters to keep students in line warm while they’re waiting for their food in the winter.

Zoca is open Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and accepts all forms of payment, including debit dollars and meals. The cart offers four different types of burritos with a vegetarian option, various sides and churros.

Laws regarding sanitation in Michigan prohibit any cooking to be done in the cart, so all of the food comes pre-made from the other dining places on campus. The food is then kept in a hot food holding unit.

Jones said if the food truck is successful, he hopes a full-scale truck will be approved by GVSU so that cooking could be done on-site.