Spotlight Productions to host a craft night

GVL / Marissa Dillon
Carly Roach

GVL / Marissa Dillon Carly Roach

Alyssa Rettelle

For students who like websites such as Pinterest and enjoy doing DIY arts and crafts, Spotlight Productions’ events and traditions committee will be hosting Grand Valley State University’s first ever Let’s Get Crafty event. The craft night will take place in Room 2215/2216 of the Kirkhof Center on Nov. 3 between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.

At the event, students will be supplied with the materials to decorate a mason jar, but students may also bring their own supplies if they wish. The goal is to gather students with similar interests in a relaxed atmosphere, with the opportunity to socialize and to create a neat decoration for apartments or dorms.

Brandi Barno is the events and traditions on-campus chair. She said this isn’t the first time that a craft night has been thought of.

“The executive board wanted to come up with a monthly event that committees could host,” Barno said. “Last year, the idea of a craft night came up multiple times, and now with the idea of a monthly event, a craft night seemed like the right fit.”

Barno said, as a committee, they hope to bring out more creativity in others and to give students a place to relax other than at the pool table or the Kirkhof theatre.

Amy Hallochak is the president of Spotlight Productions and she believes the event is a great stress reliever.

“Mid-terms are about wrapping up, and there is a lull in excitement. It will be a great time to socialize and make a cute, fun craft to take back to rooms,” Hallochak said.

Every month, Spotlight Productions’ different committees hold their own events. The music committee has Open Mic Nights every second Tuesday of the month and the comedy committee has Saturday Night Dive every third Saturday of the month.

“I believe the (events and traditions) committee hopes to bring a new monthly tradition that people are excited to participate in,” Hallochak said. “The committee is not as well known as the others, so communicating that Spotlight Productions and the events and traditions committee can do more than movies, hypnotists and magicians is the goal.”