SNA success

GVL/Kevin Sielaff
Carl Brown of the GVSU Speech Lab

GVL/Kevin Sielaff Carl Brown of the GVSU Speech Lab

Alyssa Rettelle

Earlier this month, the Grand Valley State University Student Nurses’ Association attended the Michigan Nursing Students Association’s 64th Annual Convention in Lansing, Mich. The convention included students from several different nursing schools throughout the state.

The Student Nurses’ Association took 19 students from the Kirkhof College of Nursing, and three of those students were elected to the Michigan Nursing Students Association Board of Directors. Rachel Krueger was elected the newsletter editor, Lizzette Chavez was elected the image and breakthrough to nursing director and Brianna Wilson was elected president.

The organization also won the Chapter of the Year Scholarship, a $300 reward presented to the chapter that is worthy of highest honor and recognition for its work and involvement as a pre-professional organization.

Danielle Balsis, a senior nursing student, was excited to win.

“It’s a great honor to get the scholarship because it shows that all the hard work that the members put in for the Student Nurses’ Association is getting recognized,” Balsis said. “Seeing all the other chapters in Michigan and seeing us get the award is outstanding.”

She also expressed her delight in being part of the organization.

“We always try to improve our program, and the board members really listen to everyone,” Balsis said. “This will impact our chapter and group and will greatly improve us as a whole. This is only the starting point for us and, as of now, we have a strong program at Grand Valley. As we start to grow even more, I can only see us getting bigger and better.”

Balsis said she is finishing up her first year of the nursing program, but being a member of the Student Nurses’ Association is special to her.

“My favorite part about being a member is that I get to experience new opportunities throughout the Grand Rapids area,” Balsis said. “It gives me a way to give back in the world and to be able to spread some knowledge on nursing. My role in the Student Nurses’ Association is to be a leader and be a proud representative for Grand Valley State Nursing. I always try to be a good example for other members as well as to the community.”

While at the convention, GVSU student Kendall Murphy presented a resolution that was passed. The resolution was “in support of advocating for programs transitioning student nurses toward the competent registered nurse role,” said Student Nurses’ Association President Regina Kirwin.

Kirwin further explained the process.

“A resolution is one way to impact the future of nursing. It’s a written statement that, when adopted by the House of Delegates, is the basis for the Michigan Nursing Students Association,” Kirwin said. “This means other nursing schools in the state of Michigan will take action to promote this statement.”

The next step is to take it to the National Student Nurses’ Association Annual Convention in Phoenix, Ariz. to present the resolution at the national level. The GVSU Student Nurses’ Association is sending 12 students from April 8th through the 12th.