Arts at a Glance

Sarah Edgecomb

Michigan-based Perugino Quartet to perform at GV

As part of the Arts at Noon concert series, well-known Michigan group Perugino Quartet will perform a brief strings concert on Jan. 16. The quartet is named after Renaissance artist Pietro Perugino, who hails from Grand Rapids’ sister city of Perugia, Italy. While the group regularly performs in Michigan, they perform at GVSU each year in the Cook-Dewitt Center and have been working closely with GVSU for decades. They will be performing pieces by Anton Webern and Ludwig van Beethoven.

Exhibition to showcase GV professors’ work

Professors of the Visual and Media Arts Department will be compiling their work into a Sabbatical Showcase, available beginning Jan. 14. The showcase will feature work by Brett Colley, Hoon Lee, Dellas Henke and Anthony Thompson. Mediums will include photography, printmaking, drawing and ceramics, and will be on display in the Haas Center for Performing Arts until March 29.

Arts at Noon to include GV professors 

On Jan. 23, GVSU professors Sookkyung Cho and Pablo Mahave-Veglia will participate in the Arts at Noon series with a cello and piano duet. Cho, who has performed across the globe and received critical acclaim, teaches piano at GVSU as well as Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp and InterHarmony Music Festival in Italy. Mahave-Veglia teaches cello at GVSU, having performed concert series both throughout Michigan and Chile.  They will be playing pieces by Messiaen, Pärt and Shostakovich.

GV theatre students to direct shows for performance series

The Theatre Department will be hosting two shows as part of their Performance Studio Series to showcase students’ directing and acting. “Stuart Little” will be directed by Rachel Renaud while Tyler DeGood will supervise “The Actor’s Nightmare.” Beginning on Jan. 17, there will be opportunities for both individual and double bill shows, with the last performance on Jan. 20. Shows will be held in the Linn Maxwell Keller Black Box Theatre. General admission tickets can be purchased at the box office.

“Concert Under the Stars” event to feature GV visiting professor

On Jan. 17, the Grand Rapids Public Museum will host the first event in their “Concerts Under the Stars” series with visuals by GVSU Visual and Media Arts visiting professor Meghan Moe Beitiks. Each event plans to feature a different genre of music to immerse visitors with meditative music. The event will feature ethereal, dark folk songs by British songwriter Fiona Dickinson, who currently lives in Grand Rapids, to accompany live performances and visuals on the dome of the planetarium. Dickinson specializes in ambient music and film scoring; her music for “Concerts Under the Stars” will include meditative drones and smooth transitions between songs. Beitiks has worked with “Concerts Under the Stars” events previously. Tickets can be purchased online or in person.