Teammates create fundraiser for deceased student founder

Hannah Lentz

During his time at Grand Valley State University, student Alex Aninos was a valued member of many organizations, one being the club indoor box lacrosse team.

In honor of Aninos, who recently passed away after his car was struck by a semi-truck in Cannon Township, the indoor box lacrosse team will be hosting a memorial fundraising game on Nov. 22.

At this game, the GVSU Lakers will take on the Lansing Hot Rods at 7 p.m. at Rivertown Sports in Grandville, Mich.

“Alex Aninos helped start our club in 2011,” said Kevin Scheiber, president of the indoor box lacrosse team. “He was a founding father, our first goalie and he dedicated a majority of time improving himself and his teammates. Alex put his heart into lacrosse, not only as one of our officers, but as a coach at Hudsonville High School.”

All the proceeds from the game will be donated to Aninos’ family to help with funeral expenses and the student loan bills his family is currently facing. The idea for the fundraiser was recently presented and approved by the Student Senate finance committee, which designates and approves funding for student organization events and needs.

“This is an event about Alex and his team and the fact that they are willing to do this for his family,” said Constance Turnbull of the finance committee. “Regardless of whether we have given them money, this is something they have chosen to do and everybody as a student should get involved.”

Funds granted from the senate will go toward different elements of the event with fundraising being done primarily in the fashion of donations. The lacrosse team hopes the event will help keep the memory of Aninos alive, and in the future, hope to create a scholarship to benefit other students.

“Alex is forever a member of our team, and we would like to help his family through this difficult time,” Scheiber said. “In addition, we would like this to become an annual game and something that we can develop a scholarship fund with.”

Anyone looking for additional information on the event, or ways to contribute to the cause, can contact the indoor box lacrosse club team at [email protected] or visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/gvindoorlacrosse.