Laker Life Briefs 12/3

Amy McNeel

GV introduces new Minors On Campus policy

A new policy has been implemented for minors on Grand Valley State University campuses. 

The new policy includes an online registration system, a signed release form and a focus on authorized adults. The aim of the new policy is to ensure the safety of those under the age of 18 on campus. 

30 minute Informational sessions for the new policy are set to take place on Monday, Dec. 3, Wednesday, Dec. 5 and Thursday, Dec. 6. Details about the locations and times of the meetings are available at www.gvsu.edu/gvnow. 

Record and CD show set for Saturday, Dec. 8

Need a break from studying? On Saturday, Dec. 8 the Grand Rapids Record & CD Show is being held at the Westgate Bowl Center in Comstock Park. 

The event will cater a wide range of music dealers and collectors from all around the Midwest. New and vintage records will be for sale, including 45s, LPs, 78s and CDs, as well as movies and books. With such a wide range of vendors and products, there will be available music for each individual musical taste. The show will also include a large private collection that is being offered to the public for the first time. 

The show will take place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and admission is free. 

Get in the holiday spirit at “Walker Winter”

On Thursday, Dec. 6 the Walker Ice and Fitness Center is hosting their annual “Walker Winter,” a free event taking place from 5 to 7:30 p.m. 

The event is a fun opportunity to connect with the community and experience some Christmas splendor. The event will have live reindeer, holiday crafts, caricature drawings, hot cocoa and cookies and pictures with Santa. The first 300 guests will also receive free ice skating and skate rental. A tree lighting ceremony will start at 7 p.m. and will include words from City of Walker Mayor Mark Huizenga.  

Last week to apply for McNair Scholars Program 

This Friday, Dec. 7 is the deadline to apply for the McNair Scholars Program. 

The program is designed to encourage students who are lower income and whose parents do not have a four-year college degree or who are a part of an ethnic group that is underrepresented at the doctoral level. All students accepted into the program receive $4,000 stipend to participate in a 12 week summer experience. The program includes housing, assistance with the graduate school application process and pays for travel to graduate school visits. 

To apply for the McNair Scholars Program, go to https://www.gvsu.edu/ours/mcnair.