New Briefs: GVSU introduces ‘Laker Effect’ campaign ad

Drew Howard

GV introduces new ‘Laker Effect’ campaign ad

Playing off the term “lake effect,” the new Grand Valley State University ad campaign “Laker Effect” is highlighting the ways in which the university and its students are making a lasting impact on the greater community.

The new ad campaign invites students, faculty and staff to share their journey at GVSU on social media with the hashtag #GVLakerEffect. The campaign also features short testimonial videos of Lakers explaining what they value most about the university.

The first Laker Effect commercial along with additional information about the campaign can be found at www.gvsu.edu/lakereffect.

Staff member remembered through new internship fund

Dave Feenstra, a retired Grand Valley State University staff member who died in December, is being honored through a new internship fund in his name.

Feenstra returned from retirement in 2014 to serve as manager for the Sustainable Agriculture Project (SAP) at GVSU. Before that, he worked as a maintenance supervisor.

Created by the Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies, the fund will allow for one or more student intern(s) to continue Feenstra’s work with the SAP. Student interns will now be known as Dave Feenstra Sustainable Agriculture Interns.

To contribute to the internship fund, go to www.gvsu.edu/giving.

Priest to discuss history of Armenian church

An Armenian priest will be visiting Grand Valley State University to give a presentation on religion in Armenia on Feb. 11.

Father Hrant Kevorkian currently serves as a priest at the St. Sarkis Armenian Apostolic Church in Detroit. In his presentation, Kevorkian will outline the history of the Armenian church along with its cultural values, traditional rituals, hymns and language during service.

The event is LIB 100/201 approved and will take place from 6:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. in AuSable Hall, Room 2130.

For additional information about the event, contact Tamar Kalanjian, vice president of the Armenian Student Association, at [email protected].

‘Queer & Trans 101’ training session open to campus community

The Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center at Grand Valley State University will be hosting a free training session for individuals looking to learn more about the LGBT community on Feb. 12.

Training session participants will be taught about heterosexual and cisgender privilege, the meaning of the terms gender, sex and sexuality as well as the struggles that LGBT community members face every day.

“Queer & Trans 101: A Training for Allies” is LIB 100/201 approved and will take place from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m. in the LGBT Resource Center, located inside the Kirkhof Center.

For additional information about the event, contact the LGBT Resource Center at (616) 331-2530 or [email protected].

GV to participate in ‘College Goal Sunday’

Grand Valley State University is set to participate in the “College Goal Sunday” event, a day where college-bound students and their families are given help in applying for financial aid.

At the event, GVSU financial aid staff members will assist students and their families in filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA). It’s necessary that the FAFSA be filled out for all students seeking financial aid.

College Goal Sunday will take place from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. on Feb. 14 in Building A (first floor) of the DeVos Center.

For more information about College Goal Sunday, go to www.micollegegoal.org.