Art Briefs 1/26

GV winter gear drive to collect cold-weather clothing for Refugees

The second annual “Welcoming Our Neighbors” winter gear drive will continue through Friday, Feb. 10 across Grand Valley State University’s Allendale Campus. The donations will be used by Bethany Christian Services (BCS) to help refugees from the Middle East who are settling into the greater Grand Rapids area. Items that are needed include hats, gloves, boots and jackets.

Last year, more than 850 refugees arrived in the Grand Rapids area, and BCS estimates that 450 more will be coming this year. Drop-off boxes for the winter gear drive are located in the Kirkhof Center, Student Services Building, Zumberge Hall, Wesley House/Sustainable Agriculture Project, Lake Ontario Hall, Niemeyer Learning and Living Center and Holton-Hooker Learning and Living Center.

‘5 Under 35’ Business Professions

For those who wonder what Grand Valley State University alumni have to say about life after college, the Future Alumni Association is hosting an event called “Five Under 35: Business Professions” Tuesday, Jan. 31, located in the Seidman Center Loosemore Forum.

The event will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. as students will talk with a panel of recent GVSU graduates. Topic will be focused around how to be successful in college, transition into a career, and be successful. The group will take professional headshots for those who are interested.

Reservations are required. Questions can be emailed to [email protected].

‘Musicians and Citizens’ discussion at GV

Diving into the experience of music production and the role it plays in contemporary society, Grand Valley State University music faculty is hosting a panel discussion Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 5 p.m.

Panelists will discuss how music can provide meaningful resources to understand social issues. Featured is Jia Kim, a cellist and artistic director of International Music Sessions, Miki-Sophia Cloud, a artistic director of the White Mountains Music Festival and current GVSU faculty and students.

The program will include a three minute musical introduction and is free and open to the public. The event is LIB 100 approved. For more information, contact [email protected].

‘To Sustain a Continent’ exhibition

During 2015, Grand Valley State University student Hannah Mico participated in a study abroad program partially funded through the GVSU Padnos International Center, which led to the creation of an exhibition featuring observations from South Africa.

Mico studied resource management in communities bordering the Kruger National Park in South Africa, and the wildlife around the area. In South Africa, she documented a spectrum of conditions and worldwide issues.

The exhibit, “To Sustain a Continent: An Exploration of South African Resource Managment” will be featured at the Kirkhof Center Gallery Thursday, Feb. 2, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.