GV Student Senate welcomes new organizations

GVL / Laine Girard
President Ricardo L. Benavidez expressing his thanks to the members of Student Life for their presentation.

Laine Girard

GVL / Laine Girard President Ricardo L. Benavidez expressing his thanks to the members of Student Life for their presentation.

Hannah Lentz

Grand Valley State University’s Student Senate met Thursday to talk about a few projects returning to campus and hear from representatives of several new organizations.

The newly established sorority Sigma Sigma Sigma attended the meeting to inform the senate of its agenda for this year.

“We’re very excited to have Sigma Sigma Sigma on campus,” said Ricardo Benavidez, Student Senate president. “We look forward to their contributions to campus this year.”

Representatives from the organization said the sorority will be offering a $500 scholarship to any female GVSU student who has not yet pledged a sorority and who has maintained a 2.7 GPA. The sorority will begin recruitment on Sept. 27, and students interested in the scholarship can check Orgsync for more information.

Representatives from the newly established Laker Traditions Team were also present at the meeting to tell the senate what their team is all about.

“We’ve heard positive things from people who have attended the traditions we have had so far this year such as the Laker for a Lifetime Kickoff Party and Campus Life Night,” said Alyssa Smith, chair of the Laker Traditions Team. “It’s great to get feedback from the people we target for these events and learn new ways to make our plans for next year even better.”

The team told the senate it has many more events planned for the remainder of the school year including the highly anticipated homecoming celebration, which will feature a performance by musical artist Steve Aoki and have a Wizard of Oz theme.

“The Laker Traditions Team has done a great job so far, and I can’t wait to see what happens the rest of the year,” Benavidez said. “I helped with the kickoff event, and it was a great success. It was awesome to see so many freshmen stick around and continue to bond because of the tradition.”

A representative from the Recreational Center will discuss upcoming events and address the Student Senate at its next meeting Sept. 12 at 4:30 p.m. in the Cook-DeWitt Center.