ExtravaGRANDza celebrates the end of the year

GVL / Courtesy - GVSU.edu
ExtravaGRANDza 2015

GVSU.edu

GVL / Courtesy – GVSU.edu ExtravaGRANDza 2015

Sanda Vazgec

The end of the semester for a college student is usually full of cramming for final exams and working on group projects, which makes for a very stressful couple of weeks. To make this time a little easier on the students at Grand Valley State University, the Laker Traditions Team will present ExtravaGRANDza, a series of events dedicated to celebrating the end of the school year.

“My goal for this event is to show students at Grand Valley that their hard work is recognized,” said event coordinator Marisa Riddle. “People at this school work really hard, and I think a lot of people feel that their efforts don’t always get noticed. ExtravaGRANDza is all about telling people that we notice their dedication and we want to reward them for that.”

This year, the celebration will host three major events for students to participate in, where they can relax and have fun.

On April 22 from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m., graduating seniors can attend “Pancakes with the President” in the Alumni House. The event will offer a free pancake breakfast, giveaways and a photo booth. Students will also have the chance to tour the Alumni House and interact with GVSU President Thomas Haas.

Riddle said this is a great opportunity for students to find ways to stay connected with the university after they graduate.

Later on that day, LakerFest will be held on the lawn of the Kirkhof Center from noon until 4 p.m. There will be an inflatable obstacle course, food, games and music. The activities are all free of charge for GVSU students.

On April 27 from noon until 2 p.m., students can take a study break and participate in Spa Day, located in the lounge of the Kirkhof Center. There will be a massage therapist from Campus Recreation available, as well as free smoothies and spa samples for students to enjoy.

“Students should take advantage of these free and enjoyable opportunities,” said Kara Jacoboni, graduate assistant for the Laker Traditions Team. “These events are ways to let loose and enjoy the beautiful weather, end of classes, and what it means to be a Laker.”

The Laker Traditions Team is dedicated to showing students what it means to be a Laker by encouraging campus involvement and growth. The team hopes to keep students informed about what is happening on campus through fun and creative opportunities.

Past events have received an overwhelming amount of positive feedback from students and the organization hopes to expand ExtravaGRANDza each year to reward students for their hard work throughout the school year.

ExtravaGRANDza provides students with the opportunity to interact with each other and the organization to find new ways to get involved on campus and solidify their Laker pride.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/traditions.