Quick Hits: Corby named D2CCA Player of the Year

Lanthorn Staff

Corby adds to personal trophy case

Grand Valley State soccer junior Marti Corby is no stranger to awards. The reigning NSCAA Player of the Year was recently tabbed as the 2015 Division II Conference Commissioners Association Player of the Year, becoming just the second Laker in program history to earn the honor (Katy Tafler, 2006-2007).

Corby led the nation with 17 assists, slotted in at third with 25 goals and finished second in the nation with 67 points.

GVSU senior Katy Woolley was named to the 2015 D2CCA All-America Women’s Soccer First Team, as junior Clare Carlson and Kendra Stauffer, and senior Katie Klunder earned Second Team recognition. Freshman goalkeeper Emily Maresh was named to the Third Team, and sophomore Gabriella Mencotti received an Honorable Mention.

Panning earns GLIAC award

Grand Valley State freshman Zach Panning was named the GLIAC Men’s Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week for the running events. The Indiana native ran in the 5000-meter race at the season-opening GVSU Holiday open on Dec. 4.

Panning placed third with a time of 14:15.36. His time was good enough to meet the provisional qualifying standard for the 2016 NCAA Division II Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Four Lakers named to the All-Tournament Team

Four members of the Grand Valley State soccer team were named to the NCAA Championship All-Tournament Team following the Lakers’ national title victory on Dec. 5. Senior defender Katy Woolley, juniors Marti Corby and Jayma Martin, along with freshman goalkeeper Emily Maresh took home the honors.

The Lakers’ third straight national championship gives the team five total national titles, tying them with Franklin Pearce for the most program titles in NCAA DII history.

Brandon Carr nominated for NFL Man of the Year

Former Grand Valley State football standout Brandon Carr has been nominated for the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year Award on behalf of the Dallas Cowboys for the second consecutive season.

Carr, a cornerback for the Cowboys, graduated from GVSU in 2008. Carr heads the Carr Community Outreach Program, which pushes young students to become better readers, while encouraging active lifestyles and nutrition.

Each NFL team nominated a player, and three players will be selected for the award among the 32 nominees.