News Briefs: Mental Health First Aid Training

Mental Health First Aid Training

Grand Valley State University is offering its faculty and staff an eight-hour training event on May 16 and May 17. Each day, there will be four hours of training from 8:30 a.m. until 12 p.m. in Kirkhof Center Room 2270. GVSU recommends that people attend both days to retain the full training and become certified. This event looks to help participants assist people who may be showing early signs of developing a mental illness. The Mental Health Foundation of West Michigan is sponsoring the training. For more information, visit, www.gvsu.edu/events/mental-health-first-aid-training/.

Reception for late professor to be held

Grand Valley State University’s College of Education is holding a reception to honor the life of Julie Chlebo on May 17. Chlebo died on March 19 and was an associate professor for the early childhood education program. She had been working in the College of Education since August of 1997. The reception will be held in the Loosemore Auditorium in the DeVos Center on the Pew Campus. It will start at 4 p.m. and remarks will be given at 5 p.m.

Traverse City Commencement

Some students weren’t able to join the thousands who walked in Van Andel Arena’s commencement, but they were able to attend a different ceremony. Held in the Hagerty Center in Traverse City, 55 students earned their diplomas on May 3 during their graduation from GVSU’s Traverse City Regional Center. Although it’s more than 100 miles away, President Thomas Haas gave remarks during the ceremony. The Traverse City location offers its students 12 undergraduate and graduate degree programs.

GV Sustainable Agriculture Project

The Sustainable Agriculture Project of Grand Valley State University will hold a farm stand every Wednesday for the month of May. The stand will be located on the North side of Lake Michigan Hall, open from 3:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. Residents of the Allendale area can stop by to pick up fresh produce that is locally grown on GVSU’s own working farm. Students involved with the project will be available to answer questions regarding the farm and agricultural sustainability. Volunteer opportunities are also available for students to work on the Sustainable Agriculture Project over the summer. Volunteering is open every Friday afternoon and is LIB 100 approved. Visit www.gvsu.edu/sustainableagproject for more information.

World Trade Week Conference

The annual West Michigan World Trade Week Conference will be held on May 12 in the L. William Seidman Center from 11:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. The event aims to bring trade organizations and businesses together to promote the importance of international trade. The experience offers an educational business conference, networking events and a trivia competition.

A reception will also be held to honor global trade achievements by those in the field. Adrienne Stevens, president of Notions Marketing Corp. will be the keynote speaker, discussing business growth and the keys to innovative planning and management practices. For more information or to register an organization for the event, visit www.gvsu.edu/wtw.