GradFest preps students for commencement ceremony

GVL / Courtesy - GVSU.edu

hd photo

GVL / Courtesy – GVSU.edu

Katherine West

Graduation is quickly approaching and though this means excitement over seeing family and what the future holds, it also means preparation for the annual GradFest celebration.

GradFest will occur at Grand Valley State University on Dec. 2 and 3.

The first day will take place from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m in the Pere Marquette Room in the Kirkhof Center. On the second day, it will occur from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m in the Hager-Lubbers Exhibition Hall in the DeVos Center on the Pew Campus.

GradFest looks to celebrate the success of students who are graduating from GVSU this semester, said Alexis Rangel, assistant director of alumni relations and GradFest coordinator.

“The December GradFest is two days as opposed to the four days it occupies in April,” Rangel said. “In the past, approximately 1,000 people have come through over the course of the two days.”

Caps and gowns will be available to purchase and pick up at the event. Bachelor’s degree gowns cost $28.50 and master’s degree gowns are $54. These are special promotional GradFest prices that will increase following the event. Students will also be able to pick up their nine tickets for the commencement ceremony.

Also available is the opportunity to have a professional photo taken in your cap and gown for $1.

“The photographer is a great opportunity to capture students in their caps and gowns,” Rangel said. “It is nice to take the moment to celebrate the hard work that the students have put in over the course of their education at GVSU.”

In addition to the photographer, numerous other amenities are available to graduating students at the event. Representatives from multiple vendors and on-campus groups will attend including representatives from the Alumni Association and graduate school.

“Representatives from financial aid will be at GradFest to answer any questions students have regarding loans and financial aid,” Rangel added.

Students can purchase class rings and GVSU alumni apparel. The GVSU Laker Store will offer a 20 percent discount on alumni apparel at GradFest. Students can also enjoy a slice of graduation cake while attending the event.

Students walking at commencement this semester are strongly encouraged to attend this event to be prepared for graduation, Rangel said.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/commencement.