News Briefs: Grand Rapids Symphony to perform at Arts at Noon

Drew Howard

Grand Rapids Symphony to perform at Arts at Noon

The Grand Rapids Symphony is set to make an appearance at the next installment of Grand Valley State University’s Arts at Noon series on Feb. 3.

Established in 1930, the Grand Rapids Symphony is devoted to serving the community through performances that reach students, senior citizens, as well as people with disabilities.

At the event, the group will play Dag Wiren’s “Serenade for Strings” and Tchaikovsky’s “1812 Overture.”

The performance will take place at noon in the Cook-Dewitt Center on the Allendale Campus. For additional information, contact the GVSU music and dance department at (616) 331-3484 or go to www.gvsu.edu/artsatnoon.

Winter gear drive supports refugees

Students, staff and faculty at Grand Valley State University are being given the opportunity to donate winter gear that will go toward refugees in the West Michigan area.

Donations are being accepted at the Community Service Learning Center (CSLC) in Room 1110 of the Kirkhof Center, as well as the donation box at North Community Center in Laker Village. Suggested items include coats, hats and mittens.

The CSLC will be accepting donations Monday through Friday during the hours of 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.

For more information about the winter gear drive, contact the CSLC at (616) 331-2468.

‘I Am Grand Valley’ ceremony honors student leaders

A group of Grand Valley State University students were honored for their contributions to the campus community at the annual “I am Grand Valley” reception on Jan. 27.

Honorees included a total of 826 students, many of whom serve as a campus employee, resident assistant, or a leader of a student organization. Each student was nominated for the award by either a fellow student, staff or faculty member at GVSU.

For more information about “I Am Grand Valley,” go to www.gvsu.edu/iamgv.

Presentation to focus on the history of Black History Month

Black History Month will kick off at Grand Valley State University with a presentation about the history of the month-long celebration on Feb. 2.

In his presentation, Pero Dagbovie will discuss the evolution of Black History Month throughout the years as well as the cultural significance of African American history in today’s popular culture.

“The History of Black History Month,” is LIB 100/201 approved and will take place from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Room 2263 of the Kirkhof Center.

For more information about the event, go to www.gvsu.edu/oma.

ACES event to focus on drug and alcohol use

ACES at Grand Valley State University will be hosting an educational presentation concerning the impact of alcohol and drugs on Feb. 3.

At the event, students will learn about the impact of illegal drugs on their future career path, what constitutes a standard drink, how to make healthy choices, as well as the ways in which alcohol and drug use can affect the surrounding community.

“Alcohol and Other Drugs: Truth, Lies, and Consequences,” will take place from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Room 0072 of the Kirkhof Center.

For more information, contact the ACES office at (616) 331-2537 or [email protected].