Fresh Food Co. to be updated by fall 2016

GVL / Sara Carte - Students get lunch in Fresh on Allendale’s campus on Monday, Mar. 28, 2016.

Sara Carte

GVL / Sara Carte – Students get lunch in Fresh on Allendale’s campus on Monday, Mar. 28, 2016.

Meghan McBrady

Eating at Fresh Food Co. is a rite of passage at Grand Valley State University, but the classic freshman tradition is about to get updated.

As part of a refresh project, the restaurant will be undergoing renovations that will be adding new stations, including an all-day breakfast station and expanded seating options.

“With the opening of (the) new Holton-Hooker Learning and Living Center this fall, we anticipate more guests at Fresh Food Co.,” said Deb Rambadt, the campus dining marketing director. “More seating and circulation space will be necessary for improved service and comfort.”

Opened in August 2003, the Fresh Food Co. strives to provide students a wide variety of comfort foods and sustainable dishes that will meet their dietary needs. While there has been some necessary flooring and furniture replacements done at the restaurant in the last 13 years due to regular wear and tear, no serious renovations have been made.

Ethan McCann, the Fresh Food Co. food service director, said the renovation of the campus dining establishment is primarily focusing on offerings, seating and service for the students at GVSU. He said most of the changes will be at the grill, deli and salad stations, where there will be expanded menu items and faster service.

“You can also look forward to breakfast items served all day with cooked-to-order eggs and a quick-service omelet station,” he said. “We’ll also add stir-fry and made-to-order pasta stations. The campus dining dietitian will be available to help guide students through menu choices.”

In addition, Einstein Bros. Bagels will relocate to the main floor in the new Holton-Hooker Living Center in order to expand seating for Fresh Food Co.

Kaylee Harmening, a Fresh Food Co. employee, said breakfast is a favorite among students and that lines can be long and crowded.

Emphasizing the need for separate stations – like omelets, which Harmening said was one of the more popular food items served – she also said that having additional food stations and allow for faster service and shorter lines.

“The breakfast menu is my favorite menu at Fresh and I am very excited to see it served all day,” she said. “I also know they will be adding bigger tables so that will hopefully help with seating during rushes between the stations.”