Arts Briefs

Open auditions for one-act plays

Seven student directors will culminate the semester by fully staging a series of one-act plays, and they need actors to assist them. Auditions for the plays will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on March 15 in Room 1506 of the Performing Arts Center.

This is an opportunity to work with new directors and showcase talents for Grand Valley State University theater faculty, staff and students. The performance dates will be April 18–22 during the final week of the winter semester and exam week.

Monologues are encouraged for those auditioning but not necessary, as cold reading material will be provided. If possible, plan to stay for the entire session. Those able to attend the full session will be seen and have the opportunity to work with all directors.

Faculty artist recital: Sookkyung Cho and Megan Crawford

As a rescheduling of the originally planned March 1 recital, Grand Valley State University faculty Megan Crawford and Sookkyung Cho will be performing a recital at 7:30 p.m. on March 15 in the Sherman Van Solkema Recital Hall (Room 1325) of the Performing Arts Center.

The recital will feature Crawford on the violin and Cho on the piano.

For more information, email [email protected].

Classics Film Series

The Winter Classics Film Series “Mimeseis” will continue at 6 p.m. on March 16 in Lake Michigan Hall Room 176. The classics department will be showing “Battlestar Galactica Ep. 1.1.” The series shows students how ancient texts continue to translate into modern literatures and productions.

For more information, contact David Crane at [email protected].

Open Mic Night

Spotlight Productions will host its monthly Open Mic Night at 6 p.m. on March 18 in Area 51 of the Kirkhof Center. Anyone is welcome to come and show off whatever talent they might have. There will be brownies available to attendees. The event is free and open to the public.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/studentlife.

John Ball Zoo Opening

The John Ball Zoo is open for the first week of the season this week. They will be open every day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and adult tickets are $7.

For more information, visit www.jbzoo.org.

Grand Rapids Public Museum

A new exhibit opens this week at the Grand Rapids Public Museum called “The Robot Zoo.” The exhibit explores the bio-mechanics of complex robots to discover how real animals work. Eight robot animals and more than a dozen hands-on activities illustrate real life characteristics, such as how a chameleon changes colors, a giant squid propels itself and a fly walks on the ceiling.

For more information, visit www.grpm.org/RobotZoo.