GVS(You) week to celebrate private giving

GVL / Courtesy - Alumni Relations 
Emma Lazzar former FAA president (left), Skylar Thompson current FAA communications and marketing officer, Kelsey Keipert current FAA vice president (right)

GVL / Courtesy – Alumni Relations Emma Lazzar former FAA president (left), Skylar Thompson current FAA communications and marketing officer, Kelsey Keipert current FAA vice president (right)

Taylor Fussman

Grand Valley State University students will learn about the role of giving in the campus community during GVS(You) Week, a week dedicated to celebrating private giving at GVSU.

During the week of Feb. 15 to Feb. 19, GVSU will be celebrating the fourth annual GVS(You) Week.

The event began in 2013 as a way to teach students about the importance of private giving and to give students a chance to take a moment to express appreciation to those who give to GVSU.

The week-long celebration is hosted by GVSU’s Future Alumni Association (FAA). Skylar Thompson, a member of the organization, said the association wants students to understand the importance of staying connected to the university after graduation.

Over 15,000 people support GVSU annually, and no matter what the size of the gift given, each donor makes a difference to the campus.

“Any amount donated is greatly appreciated and we want students to be able to express their gratitude,” said Julie Jamison, president of the FAA.

Events for the week are chosen based on getting students involved and reaching out to donors.

The events include a social media contest running throughout the week, thank you note writing, spirit day and an ice cream social event.

The thank you note writing events will occur on both the Pew and Allendale campuses and will allow students to thank alumni donors who give less than $50 annually to GVSU.

Each day of the social media contest will give students a chance to show school pride by posting a picture of their favorite place on campus using the hashtag #GVSYOU on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.

By posting a picture, students will have the chance to win a prize from the FAA based on how many likes, shares or retweets their picture has at the end of the week.

“Get the Scoop on Philanthropy” invites students for ice cream dished up by “celebrity scoopers” to allow for an opportunity to learn about how private giving occurs in the GVSU community.

The “celebrity scoopers” will include President Thomas Haas, Dean of Students Bart Merkle, LeaAnn Tibbe, football head coach Matt Mitchell, and Director of Alumni Relations Chris Barbee.

Thompson said “Get the Scoop on Philanthropy” is a new addition this year, and will only guarantee ice cream for the first 150 students, but is excited to see how the new event works out.

Finally, on spirit day, students are encouraged to wear Laker Blue in order to have the opportunity to win a prize from the FAA as they pass them out on campus to individuals they see showing school spirit.

“Without private giving, Grand Valley simply wouldn’t be the same,” Thompson said. “It’s encouraging for students to know that alumni are investing in their future, and it’s equally important for donors to realize that their contributions to the university are appreciated.”

For more information about GVS(You) Week, visit www.gvsu.edu/alumni.