Fashion show promotes career-appropriate outfits

GVL / Anya Zentmeyer

Anya Zentmeyer

GVL / Anya Zentmeyer

Lauren Longo

For those who aren’t keeping track, commencement is only a few weeks away and graduating seniors are about to leave student life behind and step into the real world of professionalism. Several campus organizations, including Career Services, the Women’s Center, Seidman College of Business and affiliate professor Gail Zemmol’s HTM 240 class, worked together to put on the fourth annual Dress for Success fashion show. The show was designed with the goal of preparing students to transition from backpack to briefcase and educate Lakers on appropriate interview and work attire.

This is not an uncommon challenge students face when they are entering the professional world and used to wearing casual clothing to class. To assist with this problem, the event included a fashion show with both male and female models demonstrating different options for clothing, either provided by Younkers or from the model’s own closet, that will help students land a job or interview.

The event was hosted by a representative from Younkers department store, who explained how the different outfits modeled by students were working and how others could replicate the look and make it their own.

Prizes such as gift cards for pizza, haircuts and gas were offered to students who correctly answered questions based on what they learned from the event, like the height of heels women should wear to an interview (two inches), what color shoes match navy pants (mahogany) and what not to do during an interview (chew gum or say “um”).

“One of the most common mistakes girls make is wearing ill-fitting clothes to an interview,” says Breeann Gorham, associate director of the Career Center. “Guys too often wear white tube socks with their dress clothes. A lot of people forget to think about their accessories and that even the best clothes can look bad if they aren’t cleaned and pressed.”

Modeled outfits represented a mix between corporate professional and a slightly more casual, creative workplace. The men sported dress pants and nice shirts as well as full suits that could be dressed down for a casual environment. Women wore dress pants and blouses or skirts and dresses that reached to the knee, with modest accessories and structured bags.

In addition to the show, free, interview-appropriate clothes were available while supplies lasted. Several vendors, including A Chroma Salon, Plantangas, Arbon and Eh & Co. Handmade Bowties, set up booths for students to purchase their products. Nutritional snacks were supplied and everyone who attended received a gift bag and entered for the chance to win the grand prize – a 36 inch television provided by Paul’s TV.

“When I was younger I would have just thought to wear tan pants and a nice shirt to an interview,” said GVSU student Tara Applehof, who helped plan the April 3 event as part of a class project. “I wouldn’t have known what to match or how to do my hair or makeup.”

For more information post-graduation careers, visit www.gvsu.edu/careers/.