GV opens prayer and reflection room

Lucas Escalada

Originally published 1/15/2015 

Grand Valley State University has officially designated Room 2243 in the Kirkhof Center as an open prayer and reflection room. The area is available for all students, faculty and staff members.

Student Senate President Andrew Plague said the previous prayer space, a cubicle located on the second floor of Kirkhof, was noisy and too open. The cubicle was open to the sounds coming from the Kirkhof main floor, creating a distracting environment for those using the space.

“It was important for the space to be moved into an actual room, primarily to ensure both dignity and quiet for those who use it,” Plague said. “This room is a much better sanctuary for people to frequent during the day.”

Both the former prayer cubicle and the new prayer and meditation room exist for members of the community who may not feel comfortable using the Cook DeWitt Center for any reason. The Cook DeWitt Center is mostly used by Christian groups and is mainly set up to accommodate that type of congressional worship. Other religions have different practices with varying needs, Plague said.

Though the room is intended for anyone seeking religious space, GVSU will not add any specific items for any religion. The room is a non-denominational space that will accommodate people from any faith or non-faith tradition, Plague said.

Users can bring items used for religious purposes in and out of the space as needed. There are cabinets located in the room so that student organizations, such as the Muslim Students Association, can purchase prayer rugs and store them in the room, Plague said.

As the room is finalized, simple cushions and mats may be added to the space.

“An ideal space would include foot washing stations,” Plague said. “However, that is clearly not possible in (Room) 2243.”

As rooms continue to change throughout the Kirkhof Center, Student Senate will continue to look for a larger dedicated space that is equipped to handle anything users may need.

Alisha Booms, a GVSU freshman who associates herself with the Catholic Church, does not believe a designated praying space is necessary. However, she understands why some people may find that there is not an adequate space for all students to use.

“The room does not define the faith,” Booms said. “As long as people are comfortable and they can practice what they believe in, the room should be open to everyone.”

Though the space is solely dedicated for religious use, the room will continue to evolve as many student organizations have changed location and developed into something different.

“We are not searching simply for bigger or better,” Plague said. “We have been seeking a solution to what we see as a significant inequity in the resources on campus for faculty, staff and students of Christian faiths in comparison to the resources for faculty, staff and students who are Muslim, Buddhist, etc. We have been pushing the campus to meet the needs of these overlooked religious and spiritual minorities.”

The Kirkhof Center staff will monitor the space to ensure it is used properly.