GVSU to celebrate feminism during Women’s History Month

GVL / Luke Holmes - Danielle Lake came to speak in the Womens Center inside of Kirkhof Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2016.

GVL / Luke Holmes – Danielle Lake came to speak in the Women’s Center inside of Kirkhof Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2016.

Drew Howard

Grand Valley State University will celebrate Women’s History Month this March with a variety of events beginning March 15.

Developed in collaboration between the women, gender and sexuality studies department and the Women’s Center, this year’s Women’s History Month will aim to educate the community on feminism as it relates to history and today’s culture.

Danielle DeMuth, associate professor of women, gender and sexuality studies, said it’s important that GVSU celebrates women’s history.

“It’s important to celebrate contributions to feminism that help us expand ideas of what feminism is and in ways that take on an intersectional approach to understanding feminist history, theory and activism,” DeMuth said.

The month-long celebration is set to kick off with a “Talk Back Tuesday” event on March 15 at noon in the Women’s Center lobby.

Allison Montaie, assistant director of the Women’s Center, said the event will provide a space for discussion on race and gender.

“It’s really informal. We provide refreshments and invite students, faculty and staff to come to the Women’s Center and just have conversation around a particular issue,” Montaie said. “Sometimes those are facilitated by me, and sometimes they’re facilitated by guests.”

On March 23, a screening of the film “She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry,” will take place at 4:30 p.m. in the Pere Marquette Room.

Co-sponsored by Delta Tau Delta, the documentary tells the story of the women who founded the modern women’s movement from 1966 to 1971. A conversation about the film will take place following the screening.

Montaie said she also encourages students to attend “Amp Up Your Power,” the latest installment of the Women’s Center storyteller series.

Hosted by Steffanie Rosalez, program director for the Grandville Avenue Arts and Humanities Cook Arts Center, and local hip hop artist Lady Ace Boogie, the workshop is set to take place on March 30 from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. in Room 2270 in the Kirkhof Center.

“Rosalez and Lady Ace Boogie are going to come and do a workshop with students that really centers on gender and race and social justice, and try to pull some stories out through music making and songwriting,” Montaie said. “If students think, ‘I’ve never made a song before,’ this is still really good for them.”

Women’s History Month will come to a close with an event called “Equalitea” on March 31 at 3 p.m. in the Grand River Room. At the event, students, faculty and staff will be given the opportunity to discuss social and gender justice over tea and food.

Montaie said events for Women’s History Month were created with all women in mind.

“When I say women, I also mean trans women and the stories of women of color we don’t hear as often,” she said. “We’re really expanding that notion of what is women’s history and also what is our future as women are becoming leaders in a whole host of different ways, so we want to talk about that as well.”

For more information about Women’s History Month, visit www.gvsu.edu/wc.