Quick hits: Men’s and women’s tennis blow out opponents

Lanthorn Staff

Men’s and women’s tennis blow out opponents

The Grand Valley State men’s and women’s tennis teams rebounded from losses with resounding wins. The men’s team shut out Michigan Tech 9-0 while the women’s team beat Indiana Wesleyan 6-1 this weekend.

After dropping two consecutive matches, the men’s team dominated GLIAC foe Michigan Tech Saturday, April 1. The Lakers swept the six singles matches in commanding fashion. Jack Heiniger and Nicholas Urban won their respective matchups 6-0, 6-1. Sebastien Lescoulie won the No. 1 match 6-1, 6-3 while Zach Phillips took the No. 2 match 6-1, 6-2.

In doubles, the Lakers continued the momentum with a sweep of the Huskies. Alex van de Steenoven and Zach Phillips won the No. 1 match 8-3. The final two pairings for the Lakers won 8-2 and 8-4 to secure the 9-0 victory.

On the women’s side, the Lakers swept Indiana Wesleyan in singles competition. Madison Ballard took the No. 1 match 6-1, 7-5 while No. 2 Alexa Sweeney won 6-0, 6-1. Two singles matches went unfinished after clinching the match.

In doubles play, the Lakers No. 1 pairing of Nicole Heiniger and Ballard won their match 8-5. The Lakers No. 3 pairing recorded the only loss, but it did not factor into the decision of the match.

Three GVSU men’s club volleyball players named to All-GMMVC Team

After a 19-6 regular season, the Grand Valley State Division I men’s volleyball club was well represented in the 2017 All-Great Midwest Men’s Volleyball Conference Team. The GMMVC Player of the Year Marcus Johns earned a spot unanimously while seniors Xavier Remmo and Andre Bonneville also earned spots on the team.

For the fourth consecutive season, Johns earned a spot on the All-GMMVC Team. He is only the second player in program history to hit that mark. This season, Johns is leading the team with 5.07 kills per set, hitting at a .299 efficiency. He ranks first on the team in aces (24), second in digs per set (2.85) and third in blocks per set (.34). He will finish his career as GVSU’s all-time leader in kills, kills per set, aces, aces per set and total digs.

Along with a spot on the All-GMMVC Team, Bonneville was named 2017 GMMVC Defensive Player of the Year. As the libero, Bonneville leads the team with 164 digs. His passing 43 percent passing efficiency in 247 attempts is second on the team.

In only his second year of playing competitive volleyball, Remmo is averaging 2.67 kills per set, .22 aces per set and .38 blocks per set. His 39-and-a-half inch vertical makes him a lethal weapon on both offense and defense. The selection to the team was Remmo’s second consecutive year as a member.

GVSU hosting GRAND Finale 5k

Grand Valley State’s Universities Allied for Essential Medicine (UAEM) is teaming up with GVSU Campus Recreation to host the GRAND Finale 5k run/walk on the Allendale campus Saturday, April 8, at 9 a.m.

The event is supporting a non-governmental organization ISHEW (International Sustainability of Health, Education and Water) to raise funds. ISHEW provides sustainable health, education and clean water for the underserved in Africa.

The race will begin at the Cook Carillon Clock Tower and head toward the South Campus Apartments. The track will wind around the freshmen dorms before circling back to the clock tower.