Promoting wellness

GVL / Luke Holmes - Jacob Salter (left) and Casey Malburg (right) go for a run around Grand Valleys campus on Monday, March 28, 2016.

GVL / Luke Holmes – Jacob Salter (left) and Casey Malburg (right) go for a run around Grand Valley’s campus on Monday, March 28, 2016.

Jenna Fracassi

A total of 14 Grand Valley State University campus departments were designated “healthy” this academic year after participating in the GVSU Health and Wellness’ Certified Healthy Department Program. Three of these departments earned the certified healthy designation for the first time: biomedical sciences, history and the Registrar’s Office.

Joshua Stickney, lab supervisor and instructor in the biomedical sciences department, said his department made the decision to participate in the program last spring. In January, they found out they met the criteria for healthy department certification.

“Initiatives like this have the potential to change individuals’ lives for the better,” Stickney said via email. “There is a general sentiment among our department that if our main role is teaching students who will be working in health-related professions, then we should be setting a good example of what it means to be healthy.”

Stickney said his department’s positive reaction to pursuing healthy department certification was particularly rewarding.

“It was very easy to get people on board, and it didn’t have to be,” he said. “This idea could’ve been received cynically or viewed as a hassle, but it wasn’t, not even for a moment.”

In order for a department to be recognized, it must first submit an application. The department must meet criteria like flexible work arrangements, use of exercise release time and involvement in the Healthy Choices Wellness Program.

“When we decided to do it, we had no idea what we were getting into,” said Michelle Duram, the history department coordinator. “It made a huge difference in our department, and we really enjoyed it.”

Duram said the history department implemented standing work stations, and the staff started drinking less pop, brought healthier food to potlucks and were more conscious of making healthy choices.

“It made us more aware of getting outside and taking advantage of the sun,” Duram said. “Just to get outside and walk or even to walk the halls inside. The biggest takeaway was being more responsible about what we choose to put in our mouths and to exercise.”

Each department has to re-apply for a healthy department certification every year. This gives department staff an opportunity to come up with new ideas to try going forward.

“The fact that you re-apply for certification every year means you learn from the process each time you work through it, you measure your performance and you try to do it a little better next time,” Stickney said.

The reapplication process also allows departments that have not previously participated in the program to join.

“We’ve never done it before, and we saw that the other departments were doing it,” said Wanda Isenga, assistant registrar. “More and more people are participating and exercising.”

Isenga said the most beneficial aspect of the program was how it brought the department together and inspired teamwork.

For more information on how to become a certified healthy department, visit www.gvsu.edu/healthwellness/supportive-wellness-environments-352.htm#healthydept.