Senator of the Month

Nikhil Watsa

For two years now, I have been a student senator. Meaning that for two years I have been able to influence and change Grand Valley State University for the better; for this opportunity, I thank both the student body and the institution of GVSU for trusting and listening to its students’ voices.

Like many of you, I have thought endlessly about what it is that makes GVSU such a fantastic environment, because this is why I love giving back to our community. Is it the activities and opportunities we have on campus? Is it because I can hope and work towards creating an Alumni Mentorship Program? Is it the fact that I can collaborate with others to promote voter registration through a Political Awareness Sub-Committee? Is it how our university makes changes like the upcoming Human Rights Minor and have discussions about design thinking? Is it the possibility for recognition, even through student senate or Senator of the Month? Is it the support given to all students regardless of race, gender identification, financial background and irrespective of the details that make us all “us”?

Or, maybe, is it… us?

The people, the students, the staff, the faculty, the friendly faces, Louie the Laker, President Haas, our spirit, our goals, our hopes, our dreams all make GVSU what it is. I choose to believe that it is our personalities and our aspirations that create GVSU; because of it, I proudly declare that I am a Laker for a lifetime, knowing that a “Laker” is a prestigious person to be.

Praise for one of us is a reflection on the good works of all of us, so thank you, and I’m excited to keep moving Grand Valley forward.

ANCHOR UP

Office: 0040 Kirkhof Center

Telephone number: 616-331-2333

Email: [email protected]

Website: www.gvsu.edu/studentsenate/

Facebook: Grand Valley State University Student Senate

Twitter: @GVStudentSenate