Art Briefs: Aug 22

Selfies with Mary: A photo-op tour of Mary Idema Pew Library

On Aug. 22, new and returning students are invited to take an inside look at the Mary Idema Pew Library on the Allendale Campus to start planning late-night study spots and learn about what the library has to offer.

This self-guided tour includes six different photo opportunities that will guide students throughout the four floors of the library. The tour will end with a demonstration of the Automated Storage and Retrieval System, also known as the book robot, where students can pick up a prize after the expedition.

At the end of the tour, students can stop at the service desk to start the tour during all open library hours from Aug. 22 to Sept. 2. The library’s hours can be found at www.gvsu.edu/library.

Young Flint Speaks exhibit at GV

Surrounding the Flint water crisis, many local news organizations and citizens have voiced their concerns on the condition of the water and its community. However, despite the age difference, the students of the Linden Charter Academy are also speaking up.

On Aug. 22, located at the Blue Wall Gallery Richard M. DeVos Center in downtown Grand Rapids, the Young Flint Speaks exhibit will be open to the public.

During the winter 2016 semester, GVSU graduate student Stephanie Smedley worked with middle school students in Flint to document their experience of the crisis through artwork.

The exhibit will be on view at Grand Valley State University until Nov. 3. The gallery is free and open to the public. Visit www.gvsu.edu/artgallery for more information.

Campus dining holding open interviews for the new semester

Located in the Commons Building at Grand Valley State University, the campus dining team will be holding open interviews for those interested in working with food during the semester. Positions start at $8.50 an hour.

All dining locations will be represented at the event, and all interviews will be completed on-the-spot. From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., students should be sure to bring identification and an original social security card, birth certificate or passport. Those who are interviewed may be hired on the spot.

The interviews are set to be held in the Lower Commons dining room located by Fuel. For any further details, contact human resources student employment at [email protected].

GV Social Justice centers to host ‘First Friday’ event

Welcoming new and returning students back to Grand Valley State University, the Office of Multicultural Affairs, Women’s Center and Milton E. Ford LBGT Resource Center are teaming up to host the annual First Friday Photo Booth event.

The event acts as part of the Back to School Bash. From 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, grab a punch card beforehand and visit each office to learn about the services and resources offered throughout the year.

Once the punch card is complete, students can visit the Intersections Photo Booth for pictures with friends.

There will be free candy, food and a photo booth to share with friends. Be sure to follow the event on social media by using the hashtag #GVSUIntersections.