news briefs 9/10

GVSU recognized for going green

The Sierra Club, the largest national grassroots environmental organization in the U.S., has named Grand Valley State University as one of the country’s greenest universities. This is the sixth time Grand Valley has been included on the Sierra Club’s ‘Cool Schools’ list. GVSU is also the highest-ranking institution in Michigan on the list. 

The universities dedication to recycling and being green has continued to earn high regards from various environmental organizations. The Cool Schools list ranks schools with a strong commitment to efforts in improving the environment and operating with high sustainability in mind.

The President search continues

The 2018-2019 academic school year at Grand Valley State University marks the final year with President Thomas J. Haas. The Grand Valley Board of Trustees appointed the Presidential Search Advisory Committee (PSAC), which includes 18 faculty, staff, student, community and alumni representatives who will assist the Board in their search. Information about the PSAC, as well as the presidential search can be found at www.gvsu.edu/presidentsearch

Students are encouraged to explore the search web page and offer their input which will be shared with the PSAC and the board in regards to their search for Grand Valley’s new president. Grand Valley officials expect to have finished their search no later than December with the hope the new president will begin once President Haas retires in June. 

Blackboard now offers myName feature 

A process called myName has now been included in Grand Valley State University’s Blackboard website that will allow students, faculty and staff to indicate their preferred name which may differ from their legal name.

Although these changes have not yet been added to the class lists portion of the Grand Valley website, the university is currently working on that functionality. The class list with proper identification can be retrieved from Blackboard or the GVSU Faculty/Staff Additional Student Information applications. 

To utilize the myName system, log in to myBanner, select Personal Information, then myProfile and edit the Personal Details section. Visit www.gvsu.edu/myname for more information. 

GVSU flies flags at half-staff

The Grand Valley community is currently honoring lifetime donor and university leader Richard M. DeVos who died on Sept. 6 at the age of 92. The GVSU flag will be flown at half-staff on all campuses through Thursday, Sept. 20 to honor DeVos and his longtime dedication to Grand Valley.

The funeral ceremony will be live simulcast in the DeVos Performance Hall at DeVos Place in Grand Rapids that is open to the public. A public visitation will be held Sept. 12 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4 to 8 p.m. at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in the Ambassador Ballroom. For more information about DeVos’ impact on the GV community check out the Lanthorn’s story located in the news section.

Suicide prevention training

The Counseling Center is hosting a QPR program on Wednesday, Sept. 12, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in Kirkhof room 2270 that will help educate students on the warning signs of suicide and the steps to take to prevent it. The program attempts to dispel common misconceptions about mental health and suicide to assist students in approaching sensitive topics with proper training and education. 

The event is LIB 100 approved and will allow students to look further at the issue of suicide from a social and cultural perspective. Students will learn techniques to help those struggling with mental health and possible thoughts of suicide. Visit the counseling center website at gvsu.edu/counsel for more resources.