News Briefs 10/29

GVPD opens registration for rape defense class

Grand Valley Police Department is offering a rape aggression defense (RAD) class for any student who identifies as female from 4 to 7 p.m. on Nov. 5. The event is hosted by Grand Valley State University’s Gayle R. Davis Center for Women and Gender Equity in room 2263 in the Kirkhof Center.  

The three-hour course will discuss tactics for risk-reduction, avoidance and basic hands-on defense, as well as how to raise awareness and prevention for situations involving potential sexual violence. 

The training seminar is free for all registered attendees. For more information or to register, visit gvsu.edu/cwge/rad. 

GV students build costumes for patients in Halloween Heroes Parade

Students from Grand Valley State University donated their time to designing costumes for patients participating in Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital’s annual Halloween Heroes Parade. The volunteer-based effort took place on Saturday, Oct 27 and featured 27 custom costumes designed for manual and electric wheelchairs.

GVSU volunteers — which mostly consisted of engineering students — worked on costumes over the course of several weekends alongside other volunteers from the greater Grand Rapids area. This year’s parade included costumes such as a tank with moving turret, a bathtub with real bubbles and a “Polar Express” train with a matching coal car. 

The parade was designed to make children who are often left out of festivities due to their disabilities feel empowered, according to the event’s website. The event was founded by Jane and Chris Weatherford, who wanted to share the joy of inclusive costumes after creating a custom costume for their son, Cam. 

Battle of the Valleys raises nearly $15,000 for Replenish food pantry

Members of Grand Valley State University’s Student Senate presented a check for $14,915.30 to Replenish, GVSU’s on-campus food pantry. The sum was an accumulation of fundraising efforts organized by Student Senate for this year’s Battle of the Valleys competition against Saginaw Valley State University.

While GVSU did not beat Saginaw’s total of nearly $36,000, the Lakers beat the Cardinals during the week’s football game on Saturday 31-28.

“While we did not out-fundraise Saginaw, we still raised a lot of money that will go toward an amazing cause and pivotal part of the university,” Student Senate tweeted Saturday. “As always, anchor up, cardinals down.”

President Haas addresses campus community after Pittsburgh shooting

In response to the Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on Saturday, Oct. 27, Grand Valley State University President Thomas Haas sent out a campus-wide email condemning the attack. 

In the email, Haas extended his thoughts and prayers to those killed and wounded in the shooting, including civilians and first responders. He also noted the university’s responsibility to “unapologetically educate to interrupt intolerance and address hate.”

Haas encouraged the university to stand up against hate and bigotry by utilizing the bias reporting process or by contacting Grand Valley Police Department. For students directly affected by the shooting, the email also reminded students to contact the University Counseling Center, Human Resources Office or Campus Interfaith Resources.