A night in the clouds

Taylor Fussman

A night of dinner and dancing awaits Grand Valley State University students as the annual Presidents’ Ball approaches. The theme of the evening, which was announced Tuesday, will be Olympus: A Night in the Clouds, based on Greek mythology.

The event will be held on Feb. 5 at the DeVos Place in downtown Grand Rapids.

According to LeaAnn Tibbe, a Laker Traditions adviser at GVSU, both of DeVos Place’s floors will work into the theme and decorations.

The lower level will serve as the dance club and will represent the country of Greece with the way it is decorated. The upper level will offer attendees a more intimate setting by having a jazz band providing music along with the swing dance club hosting dance lessons.

Additionally, the upper level will represent Olympus by being decorated with clouds.

The theme was chosen by Presidents’ Ball co-coordinators Lois Rosinski and Terrell Couch after meetings with Tibbe and Laker Traditions Team member, Sean O’Melia.

O’Melia said the theme will be visible through the decorations of the dance, the promotional aspects of the event and the food options for the dinner.

The Presidents’ Ball coordinators and Laker Traditions Team suggested students buy their tickets as early as possible due to the expected attendance.

“We hope to maintain the same number of attendance as last year,” O’Melia said, “We sold out and had 4,000 people in attendance.”

This event has been an ongoing tradition at GVSU for many years.

“For 30 years now, we as a university have come together on the first Friday of February and celebrated both the president of the university and our student body president, while looking back at all the good things to happen to Grand Valley over the year,” Couch said.

The people involved with the planning of the event believe it is a good opportunity students should not miss out on.

“A lot of people think Presidents’ Ball isn’t for everyone, but that’s not true,” Rosinski said, “The event celebrates our university and what makes it so amazing.”

The Presidents’ Ball is expected to provide students with a night of memories they will not soon forget.

“I think it’s a great way to unify the students,” O’Melia said. “Obviously there are only so many events on campus that gather that many students. It’s so great for just a night of fun, people getting to show their excitement to be a GVSU student.”

Tickets are $15 for the dance and $30 for both the dinner and the dance. On Feb. 1, tickets for the dance will increase to $20.